Jenn Suhr returns home

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Jenn Suhr returns home

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:06 pm

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/art ... ck_check=1

Jenn Suhr lands in Rochester
4:29 PM, Aug 27, 2012 | Comments

Written by
Kevin Oklobzija
Staff writer

Jenn Suhr finally was able to celebrate her Olympic gold medal with family and friends on American soil Monday afternoon.

Well-wishers filled the arrival lobby on the B concourse at the Greater Rochester International Airport to welcome her home.

Suhr, 30, won gold in the women’s pole vault at the London Games on Aug. 6.

"There’s been a lot of texting going on with the anticipation of when the season will be over and when we can see her again,” said Mark Stuczynski, Jenn’s father.

Several members from the Roberts Wesleyan community and fans were at the airport as well.

Jenn Suhr left the United States in late July and many of her friends and family haven't seen in her in more than a month. Her brother Matt attended the Olympics in London.

Suhr begins her offseason today.

On Sunday, the Riga resident cleared 15 feet, 3 inches to win the pole vault competition at the Aviva Birmingham Grand Prix, part of the 2012 Samsung Diamond League.

Just as they were Aug. 6 — when Suhr cleared 15 feet, 7 inches to win Olympic gold — conditions were a major factor. Suhr and Cuba’s Yarisley Silva were the only two women to clear 15 feet as top contenders Silke Spiegelburg of Germany, Fabiana Murer of Brazil and Jirina Ptacnikova of the Czech Republic failed to get over the bar.

“When you’re running into such a strong headwind it’s not really pole vaulting, you’re just adjusting to the wind,” Suhr said. “I could have done horrible ... and it still would have been a good season for me.”

Suhr and Silva both cleared 15-3, but Suhr made it on her first attempt, while Silva needed two tries.

Suhr and Silva also cleared the same height at the Olympics, and again it was Suhr who won on the basis of fewer misses.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Jenn Suhr returns home

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:07 pm

http://rochester.ynn.com/content/top_st ... back-home/

Gold Medalist Jenn Suhr Welcomed Back Home
By: Sheba Clarke

London Olympic gold medalist Jenn Suhr returns to Rochester after finishing her track season on top.
The Fredonia native and two-time olympic medalist received a warm welcome from friends and family at the Greater Rochester International Airport.

Members of the Stuczynski family says it was an emotional moment they've waited weeks for.

"Other than interviews on the internet, this is the first time we're going to see her," said Sue Stuczynski, Suhr's Mother.

With the rest of the world, they watched their daughter Jenn Suhr soar her way to gold in the women's pole vault.

"We're just ecstatic. It's not a boastful kind of pride. It's just something that you see your children work as hard as she has, as Jenn has, and to see her come through victorious is just a sense of pride and accomplishment," said Mark Stuczynski, Suhr's Father.

Now they get to celebrate that accomplishment as a family.

"I got to see her there a few times and but seeing her come home and being greeted by her family and friends and all the people that supported her, it'll be great," said Matt Stuczynski, Suhr's Brother.

Suhr and her husband Rick, also her coach, were greeted by dozens of family, friends and fans.

"It's overwhelming, you know, it's very prideful," said Jenn Suhr, Olympic Gold Medalist.

Suhr says her gold medal is something she wants to share with everyone. For her, it symbolizes how hard work pays off.

"I went to Roberts Wesleyan for basketball so then when I started pole vaulting, Rick told me I could be good at it and to come this far and to compete against athletes that have done it their whole life, and some of them have been on world championship teams for gymnastics and I've never done anything like that. To be able to come out and pole vault and make it onto the world stage and get a gold is something you don't hear of," said Suhr.

Suhr says she's already got her sight set on the next summer games in Rio. But for now, she plans to relax at her Churchville home.

"Next, like they like to say in England, a holiday. Not a vacation; it's going to be a holiday. I'm going to rest and recover and enjoy this and share it with my family and friends and the experience," said Suhr.

Return to “Pole Vault - International”