an article about Lavillenie

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
palm1234
PV Nerd
Expertise: low
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

an article about Lavillenie

Unread postby palm1234 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:26 am

I found on rue89.com an interisting article about Renaud, "when Lavillenie was just a hope of pole vault"
http://www.rue89.com/rue89-sport/2012/0 ... che-234556

A journalist begun his work at the local newspaper "La Charente Libre" in 2008, (Renaud comes from Charente), and knew at that time next to nothing about pole vault.
He says:"Avec lui, j’ai découvert qui sont les perchistes, ce monde un peu à part dans l’athlé : des mecs qui se considérent comme les surfeurs de la discipline, eux qui prennent plus de risques que les autres – Essayez donc de vous envoler à six mètres de haut avec le seul appui d’un bâton ! – et dont les résultats ne sont jamais écrits à l’avance.'
which can be translated as
"With Renaud, I discovered who are the pole vaulters, this world apart in track and field: guys who see themselves as the surfers of track and field, as they take more risks than others - try to go to 6 meters high with only the help of a pole! - and the outcome is never known before the event."

I was not surprised by
"Sa vie entière ne tournait qu’autour de la perche. Sa copine est perchiste, son meilleur ami est celui avec qui il a débuté ce sport à Cognac. "
"His hole life was about pole vault. His girlfriend is a pole vaulter, his best friend is the guy with who he started pole vault in Cognac".

and
"Son père et lui m’ont longuement raconté « son secret », sa formation inattendue : la voltige équestre. Une discipline acrobatique, risquée, aussi dingue que la perche. Pendant quatre ans, Gilles Lavillenie a été propriétaire d’un centre de randonnée équestre dans le centre de la France et a emmené sa famille avec lui. Renaud adorait ça"
which can be translated as
" Renaud and his father have talked in length about his "secret", his unexpected education: equestrian areobatics. An acrobatic sport, risky, as crazy as pole vault. During 4 years, Renaud's father was the owner of a horseback riding center in the middle of France and got his family with him. Renaud loved that".

Renaud told to this journalist
"« Je crois que j’ai plus envie et que je prends plus de plaisir que les autres. Peut-être aussi que j’aime plus la perche, tout bêtement. »"
so
"I believe I want more and I get more fun than others. Maybe too I like more pole vault, simply."

On the rue89 link, there is a link to an article in Liberation which made me smile
http://www.liberation.fr/sports/2012/08 ... vue_838870

"A Clermont-Ferrand, Damien Inocencio connaît au moins une poignée de lanceuses locales capables de chambrer son protégé en salle de musculation. «En développé-couché, Renaud n’a jamais pu soulever 100 kg», précise-t-il."
so
" In Clermont-Ferrand, Damien knows at least a handful of local girls in discus or shot put who are able to mock at Renaud in the musculation room. In the bench press, Renaud has never been able of lifting 100 kgs, he says."

I find perplexing the following
"A l’entraînement, il a parfois tenté jusqu’à 6,65 m (1), avec un élastique à la place de la barre, pour s’habituer à l’impossible. «Et j’ai pu engager les pieds», avoue-t-il."
"in training, he tried up to 6,65m, with a rubber instead of the bar, to get used to the impossible. "And I could put my feet, says Renaud".

Return to “Pole Vault - International”