Isi signs up for Diamond League

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
hardflex
PV Whiz

Isi signs up for Diamond League

Unread postby hardflex » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:33 pm

Isinbayeva signed on for the Diamond League meets coming up. Jenn, hope you do the same. What a golden opportunity for PV and Track in general to pickup interest by having the series of high profile head to head competitions. Isi looking to avenge a disappointing Olympic showing. Jenn looking to solidify her win. Feofanova, Murer, Spiegleberg, Silva, Bleasdale wanting to make their statements. They're fit and ready so lets see it happen. Rock & Roll !

http://www.iaaf.org/competitions/dlm/ne ... 66933.html

fishman4god
PV Pro
Expertise: 4 Time all american 3 college 1 masters,Current high school pole vault coach,current masters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.81 m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Re: Isi signs up for Diamond League

Unread postby fishman4god » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:00 pm

I am sure the competition will be awesome for sure hope Jen digs in as well and defends her crown!

slvr1969
PV Whiz
Favorite Vaulter: Yelena Isinbayeva

Unread postby slvr1969 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:19 am

Yelena said on 9AUG2012 "I will not compete in Stockholm next week as it was reported earlier by the meeting organization. I will stay in Russia"

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:45 am

I would love to see Jenn jump in some more meets, and see what she can do in a big meet with better weather. I would love to see Isi get some fire back in her belly. She looked great in prelims, I'm not sure why she is so out of it now.

slvr1969
PV Whiz
Favorite Vaulter: Yelena Isinbayeva

Unread postby slvr1969 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:53 am

Yelena said "After the Closing Ceremonies I will go back to Moscow with the Russian delegation for some official ceremonies. So unfortunately I will not compete in Stockholm next week"

Barto
PV Great

Unread postby Barto » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:51 am

rainbowgirl28 wrote:I would love to see Jenn jump in some more meets, and see what she can do in a big meet with better weather. I would love to see Isi get some fire back in her belly. She looked great in prelims, I'm not sure why she is so out of it now.

It is no fun when the competition hits back.
Last edited by Barto on Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Facts, Not Fiction

fishman4god
PV Pro
Expertise: 4 Time all american 3 college 1 masters,Current high school pole vault coach,current masters vaulter

Unread postby fishman4god » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:39 pm

Barto wrote:
rainbowgirl28 wrote:I would love to see Jenn jump in some more meets, and see what she can do in a big meet with better weather. I would love to see Isi get some fire back in her belly. She looked great in prelims, I'm not sure why she is so out of it now.

Stick a fork in her. She is done. It is no fun when the competition hits back.

You may have hit (no pun intended) the nail on the head. That is a shame but you are right its not a competition when no one else is competitive. Jen is and so are others so let the new era begin!

Andy_C
PV Pro

Unread postby Andy_C » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:47 pm

fishman4god wrote:
Barto wrote:

Stick a fork in her. She is done. It is no fun when the competition hits back.

You may have hit (no pun intended) the nail on the head. That is a shame but you are right its not a competition when no one else is competitive. Jen is and so are others so let the new era begin!

To be honest, I think it's a multitude of factors that's affecting her. Yes, the competition may be creeping up but overall based on her history I think we're looking at a jaded athlete. She's had some motivation problems the past couple of years I believe. Maybe add to that a small factor of physical decline? Regardless if she is able to jump her physical best I think she would still win just about any competition today even with the others jumping higher and higher. She's proven she is still capable of 5m jumps (ie. Stockholm in Feb this year) and this was an indoor personal record for her too! This is not to downplay any of the other girls, but who else has jumped 5m this year? Or ever?

Her biggest competition (same for everybody else) is the person that looks at her in the mirror every day. I don't think she'll be able to win that competition anymore. We'll see.

Just my observations.

-Andrew
Hard work is wasted energy if you don't work wisely!

charlie
PV Pro

Unread postby charlie » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:23 pm

She ,ISI ,is no question, techniquely superior to the other vaulters. The American vaulters men and women need to learn to have a Press Support Plant to be able to explode up off the pole. Compare the 19'7" clearence at this years games to Serga's 19'8" ( no comparison) Serga left the pole OUT IN FRONt and was still rising !!! You can't do that with a straight arm BLOCK!!!!!We could learn to do the same thing, just don't know why we don't!!!!

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:21 pm

Whatever happens in the future please let us never forget that Elena Isinbayeva has been a fantastic athlete who brought glamour to our sport. There is little doubt in my mind that she is beginning to weary of the whole business of being an elite athlete, with all of the demands and pressure that brings. She has been competing at a high level at least since she won the world youths in poland in 1999 - and had been training as a gymnast before that. I saw her in that comp but when I saw her win the world juniors in 2000 I called Steve chappell and said he should support her because she was going to a great one. However I sensed even in 2006 that she was beginning to tire of the training demands and was not surprised she decided to take a break from the intensity of training with Petrov - even at that point it was clear that she wanted to live something like a normal life - with a family.

Without taking anything away from the girls who handled the conditions well enough to beat her, I would say that the evidence suggests - only 23 clearances? - that the conditions did suit the stronger girls. In fact I was surprised that Holly did not jump well because she is certainly a strong girl - but nerves I suppose.

So let us hope Elena can jump well this year - but whatever, let us celebrate the great career of a lovely and very talented individual who has graced our sport. The next generation have a lot to live up to! :heart: :yes:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

fishman4god
PV Pro

Unread postby fishman4god » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:30 pm

Well said Altius, she (Isa) defenitely helped our event in many ways and will always be one of the greats!

hardflex
PV Whiz

Unread postby hardflex » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:57 pm

Jenn did enter the Meet. No ISI which is a shame, She's still the best in the world. But still a hell of a field for Stockholm

ATHLETE DATE OF BIRTH NATION PB SB
BENGTSSON Angelica
SWE
BLEASDALE Holly
GBR
BOYD Alana
AUS
DAHLSTRÖM Malin
SWE
MURER Fabiana
BRA
PTÁČNÍKOVÁ Jiřina