OG WPV Finals - JENN SUHR WINS GOLD!!!!

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
Vaultref
PV Pro
Expertise: Master USATF official .. Vertical jumps specialty
Lifetime Best: zero feet

Re: OG WPV Finals - Live updates will be here!

Unread postby Vaultref » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:02 pm

fishman4god wrote:I gotta say it why the heck do they have a one way runway in the biggest meet there is. I mean don't ya think they could at least turn it the opposite way. :dazed:

The meet referees (not event officials) make that decision to switch one hour to ninety minutes before start of competition.
After that, about all they can do is suspend. Wind is never a consideration for switching direction of jumping after competition starts.
Yes, there are possible exceptions to that but it would have to be sone hell of a headwind before it would ever happen.

hardflex
PV Whiz

Unread postby hardflex » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:07 pm

So, Isi will finish with 2 Golds and a Bronze unless she comes back again. Same as my Dad.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: OG WPV Finals - JENN SUHR WINS GOLD!!!!

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:28 pm

Isinbayeva seems pretty excited that she medaled. She said the weather was tough, usually a headwind, she was so nervous and afraid she wasn't going to medal.

She indicated that she is considering competing in Rio. She said it would depend on her personal life. Maybe she would have a baby or two and then come back?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:33 pm

http://usatf.org/News/Suhr-wins-emotion ... ith-s.aspx

Suhr wins emotional gold; Tinsley surprises with silver

8/6/2012

LONDON - Long the best pole vaulter in the United States, Jenn Suhr officially became the best pole vaulter in the world Monday evening when she won the gold medal in a stirring competition at Olympic Stadium. On the track, Michael Tinsley won a surprising, and well-earned, silver in the men’s 400m hurdles.

Suhr shines

Having recovered from a 2012 season that saw her struggle with achilles problems in the indoor season and quad problems this outdoor season, Suhr (Churchville, N.Y.) jumped efficiently, strategically and well throughout the windy, blustery night. By the time the 2008 silver medalist entered the competition and recorded a first-attempt clearance at 4.55m/14 feet, 11 inches, she was already in the top four, and Becky Holliday (Jonesboro, Ark.) had placed ninth with a best clearance of 4.45/14-7.25.

Suhr passed at 4.65/15-3, and three other women remained when she resumed jumping at 4.70m/15-5: Yarisley Silva of Cuba, Silke Spiegelburg of Germany and world record holder and defending gold medalist Yelena Isinbayeva of Russia. Suhr again cleared on her first try, as did Silva and Isinbayeva. Spiegelburg missed and passed to the next height of 4.75m/15-7.

All four women missed their first attempts at 4.75, and Suhr took the lead when she cleared on her second attempt. Silva then followed with a second-attempt clearance to set a Cuban national record and take over second place, owing to a miss on her opening jump at 4.45m/14-7.25. Spiegelburg had two misses to bow out of the competition. Isinbayeva missed twice and passed on her third attempt as the bar rose to 4.80m/15-9.

Suhr, Silva and Isinbayeva all missed on their first try at 4.80, knocking Isinbayeva out of the competition and leaving a two-woman duel. Jumping first in the order, Suhr missed on her second attempt, as did Silva. Suhr again was not close on her third try, putting Silva in a position to control her own destiny: win and get the gold, miss and get the silver.

Silva missed.

With her victory, Suhr joined Stacy Dragila (2000) - whose American records she has rewritten - as American Olympic gold medalists in the event.

Jenn Suhr, Pole Vault: “It’s very emotional. It’s something that you work so hard for, for four years, and heartbreak and joy, and then some more heartbreak. To overcome it and come out on top is something that whenever I thought of I started crying, so I knew it was just going to be emotional, whenever I thought about how it would feel to win gold. Then I would think of how it would feel to be fourth, and I’d cry over that too. It was definitely something that I’ve wanted, I don’t think I’ve ever wanted anything so bad.”

Becky Holliday, Pole Vault: “Her (Suhr) and I have been competitors and friends for a long time, so I wanted to stay out on the field and have front row seats to watch her. I know that she wanted the gold, so I’m really excited for her...The winds were really bad today, and that’s just the way it goes in these competitions. I’m 115 pounds and those winds are just hard on us little vaulters...I have worked for so long and now I can say I’m an Olympic finalist.”

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:36 pm

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news-blogs/b ... crown.html

Jenn Suhr toughness earns her Olympic pole vault crown
American toughs out windy conditions to dethrone world-record-holder Yelena Isinbayeva
By: Joe Battaglia, NBC OlympicsUPDATED: Aug 6, 6:25p ET

LONDON –– As soon as Cuba’s Yarisley Silva missed her final attempt at 4.80m/15-9, Jenn Suhr buried her face in her hands as the tears started to well up.

She ran over to the stands to find her husband and coach, Rick, and as the two embraced she began sobbing with joy over the enormity of the moment.

She had finally won Olympic gold in the women’s pole vault.

“Whenever I would think about it, I would tear up and have to suppress it or think about something else because I could feel the momentum coming into this meet,” Suhr, who won silver in Beijing four years ago, said. “Before I left home, I jumped 16-0 in our building, which is a hard jump because it is uphill. That was my best ever in that building. I came through the laser faster than I ever have and that’s how I ended my workout before leaving to come here.

“I thought ‘I have a shot. Everything is where it needs to be.’ But then again, I am like, ‘Nah, it never works out like that. I can’t be that lucky. I can’t be that person.’”

Suhr story is certainly one of perseverance. The talent has always been there, but often unable to manifest itself in recent years due to persistent and untimely injuries as well as a period of physical weakness brought on by Celiac disease.

“Rick and I have worked so hard for this,” she said. “I don’t think people understand the turmoil and the battles and everything we fought to get here.”

It was that fight that instilled her with the fortitude she needed to win this competition, under adverse conditions, and end an era of pole vault dominance by Russia’s Yelena Isinbayeva, who won the two previous Olympic titles and set 28 world records in the event.

The design of Olympic Stadium here is more low-slung than the Bird’s Nest was four years ago, leaving it suspect to swirling winds, a pole vaulter’s worst nightmare. Suhr’s winning vault of 4.75m/15-7 is nearly a foot lower than Isinbayeva’s world-record clearance of 5.05/16-6¾ in Beijing.

“Beijing was perfect pole vault conditions,” Suhr said. “It was absolutely perfect. We had a little bit of a tailwind. It was warm out. Everything was great, and here everything was a battle. You had to be tough, and you had to jump in it and deal with winds.”

It wasn’t until the vaulters reached 4.70m/15-5 that the wind really impacted the standings. It is where German contenders Silke Spiegelburg and Martina Strutz bowed out of the competition, leaving just Suhr, Silva and Isinbayeva in the medal hunt.

Suhr and Silva missed first attempts at 4.75m/15-7 before clearing it on the second. Isinbayeva, who has returned to competitive form after disastrous 2009 and 2010 seasons by her standards and nearly year’s hiatus, missed twice at the bar, passed her final attempt and moved to 4.80m/15-9 and one shot at a third consecutive gold medal, which she missed.

“The conditions were terrible,” Isinbayeva said. “As the competition went on, it became more of a mess, so difficult. I was sitting there thinking, ‘I wanted this to be over with as soon as possible.’ Psychologically, I was completely empty and didn’t want to jump anymore. Jenn wasn’t like that. She was like, ‘Grrrrr!’ She deserved to win.”

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:48 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/olympi ... medal.html

Bleasdale's pole vault dream dies as she misses out on medal
By SPORTSMAIL REPORTER
PUBLISHED: 14:49 EST, 6 August 2012 | UPDATED: 16:24 EST, 6 August 2012

Holly Bleasdale's hopes for an Olympic pole vault medal ended in bitter disappointment as nerves appeared to get the better of her on the big stage.

The 20-year-old from Lancashire was on the verge of tears as she failed her third and final attempt at 4.55 metres, well below her best this summer of 4.71m.

She looked nervous as soon as she was introduced to the crowd and almost went out at 4.45m, needing three attempts to clear her opening height.

She said: 'The conditions weren't great, it was really bad headwind. I'm really disappointed with how I did.

'I felt like I could have jumped around 4.70m but I struggled to cope with the conditions.

'I am trying to look at the positives and to finish in the top eight in my first Olympic final is pretty good, but I am just heartbroken with how it went today.

'I am only 20 and I feel like I could have performed well this year.'

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:51 pm

Vaultref wrote:
fishman4god wrote:I gotta say it why the heck do they have a one way runway in the biggest meet there is. I mean don't ya think they could at least turn it the opposite way. :dazed:

The meet referees (not event officials) make that decision to switch one hour to ninety minutes before start of competition.
After that, about all they can do is suspend. Wind is never a consideration for switching direction of jumping after competition starts.
Yes, there are possible exceptions to that but it would have to be sone hell of a headwind before it would ever happen.

Everybody needs to get switching pits around out of their head. This isn't a high school meet. There's all kinds of logistics just with camera set ups that prevent this from happening. Also, this is Europe. There are few tail winds ever. If you want to be an elite vaulter, you better get used to it. You will get a tail wind at maybe 10% of your meets in Europe.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

Barto
PV Great

Unread postby Barto » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:28 pm

"You have to believe you can win the meet on the smallest pole in your bag. If you don't, then you need to go back home and learn how to pole vault."
- Greg Duplantis circa 1995
Facts, Not Fiction

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:48 am

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:54 am

Some quotes:

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-0 ... n-olympics

“It’s really breathtaking,” Suhr, who is coached by her husband, Richard, told reporters. “It’s emotional. To have faith and to have it all come together and to achieve what we dreamt of, it’s amazing.”

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics ... 56828380/1

"I don't think I ever wanted something so bad," Suhr said. "It was definitely emotional."

Isinbayeva's name may not be that familiar to American sports fans, despite her success in the last 14 years, so Suhr's husband/coach Rick was asked to compare her to track superstar Usain Bolt, who dominated 100 meters Sunday night for a second consecutive Olympics.

"No … well, it's close now because Bolt just won his second," Rick Suhr said. "But Isinbayeva was more dominant. Isinbayeva is the most dominant athlete in any sport until tonight, in my opinion.

"She has that many world records. She is that good."

"When Yelena is in the field, you know the bar is risen — literally and figuratively — because she's that great of a competitor," Suhr said. "You know you have to be on your game. You have to execute.

"To beat Yelena, her résumé and her record, it's an honor."

Suhr, 30, overcame more than just Isinbayeva to get to this point. Since winning silver in Beijing, she battled through an Achilles injury and a long, draining illness that turned out to be a gluten allergy.

Before the final, Rick told Suhr she was going to win.

"That's not something he says," she said. "It just put that extra spunk, like 'I can do this.' Someone else believes in me that much."

The two communicated a lot during the event, mostly because the weather was constantly changing requiring strategy and pole adjustments. Suhr said it was basically a guessing game.

After she won, Suhr went over to the stands and embraced her husband, sobbing. He said he, too, was emotional in those final moments before she took gold.

"It was kind of like being on a boat," he said. "Whether we hit water or land, I just wanted off the boat with the pressure. It was just more and more.

"I kept sitting, thinking how good Isinbayeva is, a two-time Olympic champ going for a third. I kept thinking of that movie and the 1980 Olympic hockey team. … It's such a big upset that I don't think people realize how big it actually is."

Isinbayeva said she didn't settle for bronze — she earned it after taking time away from the sport in 2010 and making a comeback for the Olympics. Weather conditions Monday were "horrible," she said, and she hadn't been able to compete much in months leading into the Games.

"Of course, (it's) not a fairy tale," Isinbayeva said. "But for me, today, I won the bronze medal."

She flip-flopped a few times during her post-event news conference about retirement. She's 30 years old and has achieved everything there is to achieve in the sport. But she wants to ride out on top. Whether that's after a gold medal at the world championships in Moscow in 2013 or the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro in 2016, that remains to be seen.

canag
PV Whiz
Expertise: PV enthusiast
Lifetime Best: 430

Unread postby canag » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:14 am

Isinbayeva was far above at 470:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzrSg3RhPJ4
I wouldn't be surprised if she breaks the WR in post-olympics meets, as she did in Zürich after her Berlin 2009 defeat...

Thanks again Mr. Chappell for the videos !

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:06 pm

Someone on the T&FN Message board posted this regarding Silke's meltdown:

Spiegelburg's exact words

"Warum werde ich denn immer Vierte? Immer! Das kann doch nicht wahr sein!"

Translation

"Why do I always get fourth? Always! This cannot be real!"

I don't think she was irritated at her coach, just furious with herself and generally mad at the world.

Return to “Pole Vault - International”