Zurich - Suhr, Spiegelburg 4.72, Isi, Murer, Silva 4.62

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Zurich! Another amazing WPV field!

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:51 pm

http://www.diamondleague-zurich.com/en/ ... ole-Vault/

1 SUHR Jennifer 4.72
2 SPIEGELBURG Silke 4.72
3 ISINBAYEVA Yelena 4.62
3 MURER Fabiana 4.62
5 SILVA Yarisley 4.62
6 FEOFANOVA Svetlana 4.42
7 ROGOWSKA Anna 4.42
8 BÜCHLER Nicole 4.42

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Re: Zurich - Suhr, Spiegelburg 4.72, Isi, Murer, Silva 4.62

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:56 pm

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/art ... /110908026

Jenn Suhr wins women's pole vault at Weltklasse meet in Zurich
3:12 PM, Sep. 8, 2011 | Comments

Riga’s Jenn Suhr captured the biggest victory of her career today in Zurich, Switzerland, winning the Weltklasse Meet against a world-class field that included five of the top six competitors in women’s pole vaulting history.

The top eight finishers from last month’s World Championships in South Korea, where Suhr was fourth, competed.

The former Roberts Wesleyan star and 2008 Olympic silver medalist won by clearing 4.72 meters (15 feet, 5.82 inches) on her first attempt while runner-up Silke Spiegelburg of Germany needed two tries to clear that height. Each failed at 4.79 (15-8.58). Russia’s Yelena Isinbayeva, Suhr’s biggest rival, a two-time Olympic champion and the only woman to ever vault higher than Suhr, finished third.

“The field was more competitive than the Olympics. That’s why to me, it’s bigger than her Olympic silver. Today she beat a better field. Anybody who is anybody was in this thing,” said Suhr’s husband and coach, Spencerport native Rick Suhr. “Winning this was huge. There were world champions from 2003 (Svetlana Feofanova of Russia), 2009 (Poland’s Anna Rogowska) and this year’s winner (Brazil’s Fabiana Murer) in this thing.”

Jenn Suhr, 29, finished fourth at the World Championships on Aug. 30 in South Korea behind Murer, German world-record holder Martina Strutz and Feofanova. Isinbayeva was sixth.

Suhr, a native of Fredonia, negotiated windy and rainy conditions better than her competitors today in Zurich.

“Rick just kept saying, ‘The conditions aren’t that great and you’re from western New York. You know how to deal with this, you know how to jump in this,’” she said.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:37 am

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/summe ... 549821.ece

Suhr triumphs at Weltklasse meet in Zurich
NEWS STAFF REPORT
Published:
September 8, 2011, 7:14 PM

Updated: September 8, 2011, 7:14 PM

Those cold and windy days which often lend a bad name to Western New York provided Jen Suhr with a secret advantage Thursday night. Suhr won the pole vault at the Weltklasse meet in Zurich, Switzerland, clearing 15 feet, 7 inches in the Diamond League event.

"It was kind of bad when we started," said Suhr, the Fredonia native. "And one thing [coach] Rick [Suhr] said was, 'You know how to jump in this. You've done this before. You're from Western New York. Do it with pride.'

"The winds were all over the place and it was raining at the beginning of the meet. To make matters worse, the standards broke and there was an hour delay. It was just a long meet."

Suhr cleared jumps of 14-9 1/2, 15-3 then cleared her first attempt at 15-7 to win. In the process, she defeated two-time Olympic champ Yelana Isabyeva and current world champion Fabiana Murer.

"Going into it, I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to jump and compete," Suhr said. "This has really been an up and down season. Rick's coaching really helped. He made the calls and helped me get the confidence I needed. Right now, though, I'm beat up. I just want to be home."

Ready to return to the United States to recover from the meet, Suhr ends the year on a high note.

"The fact that she won this meet heading into the end of the year and heading into an Olympic year is critical," Rick Suhr said. "I think it gives her that edge on everybody else. Before this year, we've never beaten Isabyeva and now that's changed. I think she has a legitimate shot of being ranked No. 1 when the world rankings come out in December."

hardflex
PV Whiz

Unread postby hardflex » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:50 am

This meet was double points in the Diamond League and many women had a shot at winning going in, including Isi and Fabiana, so I have to assume they were all trying for the points. With that in consideration the marks by some were disapointing. But you have to give it to Suhr for winning and Spiegelburg had to get 2nd or better as she needed to win the overall diamond league.

Isi will be there next year, but it's going to be closer than before.

I hate that they will all most likely do little in the spring and peak around august of next year. It's a long time for a fan to wait.

pvkellie
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former professional pole vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15'4

Unread postby pvkellie » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:25 pm

Why didn't Martina Strutz compete?

KLocke
PV Whiz

Unread postby KLocke » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:30 pm

NH

pvkellie wrote:Why didn't Martina Strutz compete?

Return to “Pole Vault - International”