Capital Perche Clermont-Ferrand France R. Lavillenie 5.92

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
CONNEXE
PV Wannabe

Capital Perche Clermont-Ferrand France R. Lavillenie 5.92

Unread postby CONNEXE » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:10 pm

Renaud Lavillenie showed great form to win easily with 5.92.
His first attempt at 6.02 ended with a spectacular crash when his overbent pole broke into 3 pieces.
With a slightly stiffer pole he had a close miss in his 2nd attempt.

1 LAVILLENIE Renaud 5m47(O) 5m57(-) 5m72(O) 5m82(O) 5m92(O) 6m02(XXX)
2 CLAVIER Jerome 5m57(XO)
3 DOSSEVI Damiel 5m57(XXO)
4 CAMPAGNONI Jonas 5m32(O)
5 GUIGON Nicolas 5m32(XXO)
6 FORTIN Fabrice 5m32(XXO)

1 RIBEIRO TAVARES Maria-L. 4m37(XXO)
2 MATHIOT Télie 4m22(XXO)
3 OST Alice 4m12(O)
3 SAVCHENKO Anastasia (Rus) 4m12(O)
5 BUISSON Marion 4m12(XXO))
6 RIBEIRO HOMO Sandra-H. 4m02(O)

ebarr640
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.88
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Rens Blom

Re: Capital Perche Clermont-Ferrand France R. Lavillenie 5.92

Unread postby ebarr640 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:27 pm

carvaulter
PV Newbie

Unread postby carvaulter » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:10 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNSh7rkXjK4

Notice how much he makes 5.47 by at 1:05 in the report. :dazed:

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:20 am

Good morning

The difference between the 5.92 make and the explosive (pole break) was a “subtle”, slightly more of a stretch into the takeoff. This kept him from having a vertical “impulse” (jump) causing him to take off to flat and overload the pole.

He was also stretching a little on the 5.92.. and had a big bend… this might make he and his coach think they need a bigger pole when the real solution is the takeoff. If he gets a bigger pole, under these circumstances he would probably “run harder” (which he probably did on the pole break) placing him out at six steps causing him to stretch more, go even flatter and not be capable of moving the pole.

A pole will seldom ever break even if it is slightly too small if there is a good “up” impulse at the takeoff.. the vaulter simply will blow thought… a flat takeoff on any size pole, at the speed he is running, can cause a break.

Use these comparisons as “learning moments”… if you see a vaulter clear a bar as he did at 5.47 and the pole was “dynamic”, think through the “physics”, if he is seems to be over bending on maybe an even bigger pole at the higher heights.. the grip is probably not much different, the speed is probably not much different .. why? If you checked the six step on all the jumps you will know where and what the problem is.

dj

Decamouse
PV Great
Expertise: Masters vaulter, coach, USATF Official
Favorite Vaulter: Kate Dennison

Unread postby Decamouse » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:59 am

Aside from he does get big bend -- the pole could have been weakened on a previous vault and he could have taken off no different than previous jumps and had the same result -- once a pole is overstressed, the next time the level of stress needed to inflict damage is slightly less -- go look it up in Engineering Handbooks on fatigue analysis - composite included

Now DJ has a better trained eye than I do - so he may have picked up that subtle difference up or a flatter takeoff -- the more important point he made is the stretch/reach and resultant take off will load a pole more severly and not in the way you want to for a good vault -
Plant like crap sometimes ok most times

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:37 pm

hey

i think i was blessed with a pretty good eye but you really can't tell that much of a "subtle" difference without a "check point" to confirm what you may think you see... this "judgement" was from the end result.. compared to his other jumps...

kind of like a golf swing... you watch the flight of the ball and can tell what the golfer did with the swing even if you didn't watch it specificly.

but i have seen a lot of his jumps on video and have noticed a "stretch under" at times.. plus years of experience and watching 100's of vaulters do the same.. and break poles and/or come up short.

just info to help all of us understand the vault a little better.

dj

Soar Like an Eagle
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Coach, Fan,
Lifetime Best: 17'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie, Steve Smith

Unread postby Soar Like an Eagle » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:32 pm

The pole that broke probably had a ding in it from possibly hitting the standard or something. Poles will be stressed more by reaching taking off under, but chances are they will not break especially if it is 40lbs over your weight. If a pole gets a ding from falling against a standard and/or something else no matter how new or old it is it may break.That why it is very important to take care of your equipment when competing especially making sure there is padding to protect your pole falling into the standard. Ranaud is incredible, I really hope he breaks the world record. He is great for pole vaulting.

Decamouse wrote:Aside from he does get big bend -- the pole could have been weakened on a previous vault and he could have taken off no different than previous jumps and had the same result -- once a pole is overstressed, the next time the level of stress needed to inflict damage is slightly less -- go look it up in Engineering Handbooks on fatigue analysis - composite included

Now DJ has a better trained eye than I do - so he may have picked up that subtle difference up or a flatter takeoff -- the more important point he made is the stretch/reach and resultant take off will load a pole more severly and not in the way you want to for a good vault -

Polevaulter2012
PV Whiz
Expertise: Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.90m
Favorite Vaulter: Maksim tarasov

Unread postby Polevaulter2012 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:42 am

carvaulter wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjmPeVHZWW0

:yes: he is going 6.10 this year!

golfdane
PV Pro

Unread postby golfdane » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:12 pm

Soar Like an Eagle wrote:The pole that broke probably had a ding in it from possibly hitting the standard or something. Poles will be stressed more by reaching taking off under, but chances are they will not break especially if it is 40lbs over your weight. If a pole gets a ding from falling against a standard and/or something else no matter how new or old it is it may break.That why it is very important to take care of your equipment when competing especially making sure there is padding to protect your pole falling into the standard. Ranaud is incredible, I really hope he breaks the world record. He is great for pole vaulting.

Decamouse wrote:Aside from he does get big bend -- the pole could have been weakened on a previous vault and he could have taken off no different than previous jumps and had the same result -- once a pole is overstressed, the next time the level of stress needed to inflict damage is slightly less -- go look it up in Engineering Handbooks on fatigue analysis - composite included

The pole was overloaded. Regardless of how many lbs over your weight, will a pole eventually degrade or fail completely, if bent like this. Blaming the failure on a ding, is ignoring the obvious, when trying to explain why it exploded.
As DJ said: There's almost no "up-impulse" at "take-off" (as seen with many french jumpers, that seems to be obsessed with big bends rather than jumping).

Decamouse
PV Great
Expertise: Masters vaulter, coach, USATF Official
Favorite Vaulter: Kate Dennison

Unread postby Decamouse » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:43 pm

In my opinion - major -overlaod/overbend

link below has some frame by frame with comments

http://www.decamouse.com/sitebuildercon ... 02bang.pdf
Last edited by Decamouse on Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Plant like crap sometimes ok most times

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:07 pm

Usually when a pole breaks because of a ding, it breaks in one place (two pieces). When a pole breaks in two or more places (three+ pieces) it's from being overbent/overloaded/whatever you want to call it.

When I was in Germany last spring, the German biomechanists had put together some data on the top vaulters (including Hooker and Lavillenie) and I believe that they found Lavillenie bent the pole quite a bit more than most other elites. Though my memory could be faulty...

Return to “Pole Vault - International”