Gibilisco Article

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Gibilisco Article

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:27 am

Gibilisco wishes to pursue further goals in Budapest
Tuesday 2 March 2004

Italy’s 2003 World outdoor Pole Vault champion Giuseppe Gibilisco intends to capture the indoor title to match next weekend at the 10th IAAF World Indoor Championships in Athletics, Budapest, Hungary (5 – 7 March 2004).

His 2004 indoor season campaign of four meetings has competitively gone very well but his predicted start in Leipzig on Sunday (29 Feb) was cancelled due a bout of flu.

However, if he is fully recovered from the illness in time for Budapest, there will be no more potent threat to the hopes of Germany’s defending World champion Tim Lobinger, than the 25 year-old Italian.

Giuseppe Gibilisco
(Getty Images)

"I owe my World title to Petrov and Bubka"

Gibilisco is the world season’s leader having vaulted 5.82m in Donetsk on 15 February, the meeting which is organised by the legendary vaulter Sergey Bubka, now an IAAF Council Member who though retired remains the event's World record holder.

In Donetsk, Gibilisco who is coached by Bubka’s former adviser Vitaliy Petrov, was in real trouble after two failures at the opening height of 5.52, which he vaulted only on his third and final attempt.

Giuseppe Gibilisco
(Sergey Vaganov)

"I had a difficult approach and I really struggled at the beginning. I arrived in Donetsk on Saturday in the middle of the night after a very long and tiring flight from Rome to the Ukraine. It was a very cold day on Sunday afternoon with an outdoor temperature of about -18°. Fortunately everything went in the right direction when I turned to a stiffer pole after the two failures at 5.52," said Gibilisco.

After passing  5.62, the Italian needed three attempts to clear 5.72, which was his first Italian indoor record of the day. Then, after passing 5.77, he gambled and moved up to 5.82 to vault his second national indoor record on his first attempt, eight centimetres off the Italian outdoor mark which earned the World gold medal last summer in Paris.

In Donetsk’s packed indoor arena the atmosphere was thrilling.

Giuseppe Gibilisco
(Getty Images)

"This meeting is a very popular event in Donetsk. It is not just a Pole Vault meeting, but also a celebration of this discipline and it is a must to go there and compete for all the top pole vaulters in the world. I have always much to learn when I go to compete in Donetsk. I owe my World title in Paris to Vitaliy Petrov and Sergey Bubka, who have played a very important role in my career.â€Â

Return to “Pole Vault - International”