Bubka's jump at WC in Tokyo

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
zack

Bubka's jump at WC in Tokyo

Unread postby zack » Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:02 am

So I have this footage on videotape but just found it on the internet today. It shows some of Bubka's winning jumps at past World Championships. Now the commentary for the 3rd jump in the clip seems to be saying that its his 5.92 jump in Tokyo. If that really is 5.92 he smoked it! It looks unreal the way he gets thrown off the top of the pole. I wanted to find out what other people think. maybe its just the camera angle but it looks to be parallel with the bar. Either way it looks out of this world.

http://www.sportsci.com/media/

Scroll down towards the bottom to where it says Sergei Bubka. Click on it and choose to download it in the window that pops up. You should choose the highest quality (256kbps). It may take a while with a dialup connection.
Last edited by zack on Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

flying scotsman
PV Beginner

Unread postby flying scotsman » Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:54 am

Yeah that 5.92m jump was awesome. I have it in the house on video and I have a view along the line of the bar and you see just how much he cleared it by. Sure i heard that scientists analysed that footage and his high point was way in excess of 6.20m.

The commentary on that clip is balls though. It says that in stuttgart it was the 1st 6m clearance outdoors but it wasn't. It was the 1st 6m clearance in the world champs but not in general. Think bubka's 1st 6m vault outdoors was paris.

Rich

njvaulter
PV Whiz

Unread postby njvaulter » Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:46 pm

His invert is so amazing. If you stop the frame when hes totaly upside down and flip it it looks like hes just standing up.

VaultnGus
PV Pro

Unread postby VaultnGus » Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:09 pm

what was even more amazing about that jump is he had missed most of the previous two years nursing injuries and had only vaulted in one or two competitions that year leading up to the WC's. Even then he was doubtful to compete. Then he came and launched that absolute BOMB. Man I love watching that jump :-)
"Will vault for food"

Return to “Pole Vault - International”