Polish Nationals

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Polish Nationals

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:06 am

http://www.iaaf.org/WIC04/news/Kind=2/newsId=24138.html

Pyrek-Rogowska duel is the jewel of the Polish Championships
Monday 23 February 2004

Spala, Poland – A marvellous women’s Pole Vault tussle which ended with a 4.65m national record win for Monika Pyrek over Anna Rogowska (4.50) was the highlight of the national indoor championships, which took place this weekend in the Spala woods (110 km from Warsaw) on 21 and 22 February.

Pyrek and Rogowska lined up as the event’s two major protagonists, but their previous career paths were not really comparable. 

Pyrek has already taken bronze medals in World Championships – both in summer (Edmonton 2001) and indoor (Birmingham 2003). She had cleared 4.50m, 38 times before.

Rogowska on the other hand, is one year younger and though among the top eight vaulters in Munich (European Championships), Birmingham (World Indoor Championships) and in Paris (World Championships), she had jumped above 4.50 only once in her career – in Donetsk (15 February 2004). In that meet along with Pyrek she finished 4th= position, with the result of 4.52.

This weekend in Spala Rogowska had the better start, as she cleared her first four heights (4.20 - 4.50) with her first attempts, while Pyrek needed two at both 4.30 and 4.50.

However, with Rogowska failing to go over 4.60, it was Pyrek who found herslef back on song jumping both 4.60 and 4.65 in first tries, so bettering the Polish Indoor Record by 4 cm and outdoor - by 3cm.

“I was afraid I could loose after failing to jump 4.50 on my first attempt. Anna is in superb shape. I really wanted to win today, in my first competition for my new club – to repay them for the help they gave me last year,â€Â

Return to “Pole Vault - International”