Pole Vaulting Accident in South Africa

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Pole Vaulting Accident in South Africa

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:33 pm

http://www.mg.co.za/Content/l3.asp?ao=31195

Drama, accusations after pole-vaulter falls

Larry Lombaard | Potchefstroom, South Africa

14 February 2004 07:41

Drama in the pole-vault cast a pall over the second Absa series meeting in Potchefstroom on Friday night when Stellenbosch athlete Fanie Jacobs was rushed to hospital after injuring his lower back in dangerous competition conditions.

"We have been warning about something like this happening because of below-standard pole vault facilities," said Africa record-holder and Commonwealth Games champion Okkert Brits after the event was cancelled in wet conditions.

This, after Brits got the fright of his life when a hammer thrown by Africa record-holder Chris Harmse flew through the air and landed on the mat during his run-up.

Had Brits been a few seconds earlier, he would have been struck by the hammer.

Riaan Botha had posted a warning earlier in the week that the pole-vault facilities were too dangerous at Potchefstroom and decided against travelling up from Stellenbosch to compete.

His clubmate, Jacobs, should have heeded the warning. He took strain in the wet conditions and hit the corner of the mats with the small of his back while trying to clear 5,05m.

Brits immediately called a halt to the competition.

"No ways," he told the officials. "We cannot continue in these dangerous conditions -- not in an Olympic year," he said.

Jacobs was rushed to a local hospital, accompanied by Brits and a group of pole-vaulters.

"He has serious back-injuries," said Brits afterwards.

"This is just not on," said a livid Jakes van Vuuren of Rentmeester-Tuks. "In Secunda last week, the mat was far too small and the slot for the pole was the wrong distance from the mat, which made conditions dangerous. There were eight deaths in the world in pole-vault last year and it's about time this problem was addressed," he said.

"The only venues that are right for pole-vault in the country are Pilditch, Bloemfontein and Stellenbosch."

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:36 pm

There were eight deaths in the world in pole-vault last year and it's about time this problem was addressed

Whoaaa... where in the world did that happen?!?! :eek: I don't remember hearing about ANY deaths last year. :dazed:

PV Knox
PV Beginner

Mad

Unread postby PV Knox » Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:36 am

Man I'd be mad if someone threw a hammer at me while I was jumping. It was in South Africa, I hear they have some good vaulters.

Lord of the Poles
PV Master

Unread postby Lord of the Poles » Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:04 am

rainbowgirl28 wrote:
There were eight deaths in the world in pole-vault last year and it's about time this problem was addressed

Whoaaa... where in the world did that happen?!?! :eek: I don't remember hearing about ANY deaths last year. :dazed:

Damn those people and their inaccurate sources! I don't even remember hearing of any deaths after the Dare death and those others...

zack

Unread postby zack » Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:27 am

We had a couple meets in high school where we had to wait for the hammer to finish before we could jump. A few of them were landing right at the back of the pit. At one meet one or two did hit the pits :dazed:

Return to “Pole Vault - International”