T&F News World Rankings 2009

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

T&F News World Rankings 2009

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:21 pm

Men's Pole Vault
1. Steve Hooker (Australia)
2. Renaud Lavillenie (France)
3. Romain Mesnil (France)
4. Maksym Mazuryk (Ukraine)
5. Derek Miles (US)

(no other Americans in the top 10)

Decathlon
1. Trey Hardee (US)
2. Leonel Suárez (Cuba)
3. Aleksandr Pogorelov (Russia)
4. Oleksiy Kasyanov (Ukraine)
5. Michael Schrader (Germany)

Yeah Trey!!

Women's Pole Vault
1. Yelena Isinbayeva (Russia)
2. Anna Rogowska (Poland)
3. Monika Pyrek (Poland)
4. Fabiana Murer (Brazil)
5. Svetlana Feofanova (Russia)

(Jenn 8th, Chelsea 9th)

For the complete rankings, subscribe to T&FN, buy it on a newsstand, or wait for them to post them on their site.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: T&F News World Rankings 2009

Unread postby KirkB » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:18 pm

I wonder why Jenski was only ranked 8th? :confused:

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:32 pm

KirkB wrote:I wonder why Jenski was only ranked 8th? :confused:

Kirk

Because she did not compete internationally at all. The rankings are heavily influenced by head-to-head results and performances in Championship meets.

roger/over
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; University Coach; Masters Vaulter; PV Stats
Lifetime Best: 4.60 at 44
Favorite Vaulter: Stacy Dragila

Unread postby roger/over » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:16 pm

Still, it's hard to accept Jenn being ranked below FIVE vaulters (Rogowska, Pyrek, Feofanova, Silverburg and Golubchikova) whose seasonal bests weren't as good as hers.

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:21 pm

yeah like becca said, season PRS mean very little compared to head to head performances. It was interesting to me when worldrankings.net was still free, to see the amount of european athletes that were ranked ahead of a lot of our second tier guys (the ones excluding the brad, toby, tim, derek, jeff group). Mark Hollis was a prime example in 2008. There were lots of european 5.50-5.60 guys ranked higher because they were in the bigger meets that Mark couldn't get into because he wasn't one of the top 3-4 US guys. Although i have a feeling that will change soon.
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

VaultNinja
PV Pro
Expertise: Extensive
Lifetime Best: 5.60m
Favorite Vaulter: All the Great Ones

Unread postby VaultNinja » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:08 pm

Yeah its a lot easier to get a high ranking if your already in Europe because international meets get you a ton more points towards your ranking. And almost every meet in Europe is international since countries aren't even as big as some counties in the US. Doesn't seem like a fair system if your not in Europe year round.
I agree on the Mark Hollis thing though. That guy is about to make his mark (no pun intended) on International Track and Field.
If someone tries to step on your dreams.... Step on their face.

Barto
PV Great

Unread postby Barto » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:40 am

As far as the rest of the world is concerned, high level track and field just doesn't exist in the US. If you want to make your mark it has to be in Europe. Period. Even Hooker (and Burgess) were seriously discriminated against in the rankings until they went out on the Euro circuit and cut their teeth. You can cry about it an d say it is unfair, but that won't change the reality.
Facts, Not Fiction

VaultLove
PV Whiz

Unread postby VaultLove » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:40 pm

That is a fact. And Walker will return and be the other American. They will not put Hollis in the Euro mix unless he medals indoors. Miles, Walker and a third. If Mack is jumping well, it will be him or Jeremy Scott. They are creatures of habit abroad and will most definately favor those qualified for European Championships. The upcoming championships in Barcelona is significant.

Barto wrote:As far as the rest of the world is concerned, high level track and field just doesn't exist in the US. If you want to make your mark it has to be in Europe. Period. Even Hooker (and Burgess) were seriously discriminated against in the rankings until they went out on the Euro circuit and cut their teeth. You can cry about it an d say it is unfair, but that won't change the reality.

VaultNinja
PV Pro
Expertise: Extensive
Lifetime Best: 5.60m
Favorite Vaulter: All the Great Ones

Unread postby VaultNinja » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:37 pm

VaultLove wrote:That is a fact. And Walker will return and be the other American. They will not put Hollis in the Euro mix unless he medals indoors. Miles, Walker and a third. If Mack is jumping well, it will be him or Jeremy Scott. They are creatures of habit abroad and will most definately favor those qualified for European Championships. The upcoming championships in Barcelona is significant.

Barto wrote:As far as the rest of the world is concerned, high level track and field just doesn't exist in the US. If you want to make your mark it has to be in Europe. Period. Even Hooker (and Burgess) were seriously discriminated against in the rankings until they went out on the Euro circuit and cut their teeth. You can cry about it an d say it is unfair, but that won't change the reality.

I like your picks, but I hate to tell you Americans can't go to "European" Championships. Unless you meant with an international qualifying standard for a meet they can't compete in, and the mark speaks for itself, then you are right that helps your chances of getting into meets over in Europe, but its usually not enough to have an A-standard anymore. Easy on Hollis though, you might be eating your words on that one. We are all talking him up, because we see what he is capable of, and once he finds a rhythm and becomes a "creature of habit" (which many of us are thinking is about to happen) he will be an amazing vaulter that will be become an international threat. Also you don't need a medal at an Indoor worlds to get into prestigious meets if your jumping over 5.90. There are other ways to get noticed. But a medal sure wouldn't hurt.
You don't have to buy into any of this, I'm just saying I do, so keep your eye on his season and I'm guessing we'll talk about this again ;)
If someone tries to step on your dreams.... Step on their face.

VaultLove
PV Whiz

Unread postby VaultLove » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:40 pm

What are you speaking of? My post clearly states that a Euro Champs 2010, the Americans listed, Miles, Walker, and (1) other will likley be the only invites. I did not write a thing about U.S. marks or qualifying. I reiterate that their will be heavy emphasis on qualified Euro Champs athletes throughout Europe. Exceptional years were of course when Americans ranked 1-5 or 1-4 World rank. Hardly the case any longer, though, Walker is always welcomed. He will not be punished for being injured. I will not be eating my words. It is hardly serious for me. I have nothing invested in Mr. Hollis. The French entries are suddenly 3 deep.Anyone rising and making a mark will have an Indoor WC medal opportunity. Otherwise, it will need to be legitimate mark in Europe

that is all.........

VaultNinja wrote:
VaultLove wrote:That is a fact. And Walker will return and be the other American. They will not put Hollis in the Euro mix unless he medals indoors. Miles, Walker and a third. If Mack is jumping well, it will be him or Jeremy Scott. They are creatures of habit abroad and will most definately favor those qualified for European Championships. The upcoming championships in Barcelona is significant.

I like your picks, but I hate to tell you Americans can't go to "European" Championships. Unless you meant with an international qualifying standard for a meet they can't compete in, and the mark speaks for itself, then you are right that helps your chances of getting into meets over in Europe, but its usually not enough to have an A-standard anymore. Easy on Hollis though, you might be eating your words on that one. We are all talking him up, because we see what he is capable of, and once he finds a rhythm and becomes a "creature of habit" (which many of us are thinking is about to happen) he will be an amazing vaulter that will be become an international threat. Also you don't need a medal at an Indoor worlds to get into prestigious meets if your jumping over 5.90. There are other ways to get noticed. But a medal sure wouldn't hurt.
You don't have to buy into any of this, I'm just saying I do, so keep your eye on his season and I'm guessing we'll talk about this again ;)

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:53 pm

do you mean world champs? you keep saying european champs.. which none of the US guys can go to...
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

VaultLove
PV Whiz

Unread postby VaultLove » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:16 pm

I write about US men competing on euro circuit. Most likely 3. and I write about European Championships. Yes, I write about it because is upcoming. It is quite important to us in Europe. Also, note that it includes Israel. Is that clear? It will be in the future at least.

VTechVaulter wrote:do you mean world champs? you keep saying european champs.. which none of the US guys can go to...

Return to “Pole Vault - International”