Can Hooker Do It?

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
GiVaulter09
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, Current College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.00
Favorite Vaulter: Brad Walker, Rory Quiller

Can Hooker Do It?

Unread postby GiVaulter09 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:09 pm

With Hooker obviously very injured, it's unlikely that he can make it through a whole competition. So if he wanted to try and win the championship it's likely that he would have to come in very high. Like 5.90- 5.95 high. With little to no warm-up. My question is, has anyone ever tried this? And were they successful?

Thanks,
Adam
Grade - College Sophomore
PR - 5.00m - 16' 4.75"

ACvault
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Re: Can Hooker Do It?

Unread postby ACvault » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:33 pm

I would definitely not count Hooker out. You need to take into account the fact that he is the second highest vaulter of all time, won the Olympic gold medal and set the Olympic record on final attempts after taking (I think) a dozen jumps. No doubt the mental toughness is there, it just becomes a matter of whether he can crank out one or two full effort jumps.

Svarta Handen
PV Newbie
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Sergej Bubka

Unread postby Svarta Handen » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:23 pm

Maksim Tarasov of Russia entered the Golden League meeting in Berlin 1999 at 5,90.
He cleared on the first attempt, then later also 6,01 to win the meet.

GiVaulter09
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, Current College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.00
Favorite Vaulter: Brad Walker, Rory Quiller

Unread postby GiVaulter09 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:02 pm

Oh yea if I expected anyone to do it, it would definitely be Hooker. After watching the one jump he took today, no one could question his mental toughness. Looking at his face throughout the entire jump you couldn't tell he was in any pain until he landed. Hopefully he has a few good jumps still in him. Wow, thanks Svarta! That's and incredible competition.

Thanks,
Adam
Grade - College Sophomore
PR - 5.00m - 16' 4.75"

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:28 pm

Svarta Handen wrote:Maksim Tarasov of Russia entered the Golden League meeting in Berlin 1999 at 5,90.
He cleared on the first attempt, then later also 6,01 to win the meet.

ahh you beat me to it.. what a monster he was
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

Sebes
PV Whiz

Unread postby Sebes » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:53 pm

I'd love to see Hooker win this competition...but I doubt he'll be able to take even 1 attempt tomorrow.

Pogo Stick
PV Pro
Expertise: Former "College" Vaulter, Masters Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.70/15'5
Favorite Vaulter: Władysław Kozakiewicz

Unread postby Pogo Stick » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:07 pm

Latest news:
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25965076-23218,00.html

Steve Hooker to have injection before pole vault final in Berlin

August 22, 2009

Courageous Steve Hooker will have a painkilling injection before taking an all or nothing approach into the final of the men's pole vault at the world athletics championships.

A torn thigh muscle meant Hooker was only able to have one jump in the qualifying round, but that was enough to soar over at 5.65m and book his berth in the final on Sunday morning (AEST).

The Australian will adopt similar tactics in the final.

"If he jumped 5.85 on one jump that's probably going to be good enough for a medal,'' said Australia head coach Eric Hollingsworth.

"And for Steve, given what's been going on in the last couple of weeks, he would be happy with that.

"And if the French guy (Renaud Lavillenie) goes and jumps six metres, there's no need for heroics. Steve's positive.

"At the end of the day, I think he surprised himself with the 5.65.

"It's obviously something he doesn't do on a regular basis, so being able to have that kind of ability to jump off no warm-up means he knows he can do it.

"And the jump was big enough basically for a 5.85, if we repeat the same process tomorrow."

The nature of the injury has changed in the last 24 hours, with Hooker now suffering pain from a neural problem in the upper quad in his right leg, an issue that can be masked with a local anaesthetic.

"I don't think it will be a performance inhibitor," said Hollingsworth.

"I think it's the pain that's the major issue.

"If we can get the local anaesthetic and get the neural block going then we might even be able to get more than one jump out of Steve."

Hooker, 27, tops the world rankings in 2009, having jumped 6.06m indoors in Boston in February. Lavillenie's PB is 6.01m.

The Australian team captain tore the adductor muscle in his right leg 11 days ago.
-- Pogo

"It is not necessary to change. Survival is not mandatory." W. Edwards Deming

Return to “Pole Vault - International”