Markov and Coach Split

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Markov and Coach Split

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:51 pm

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/01/ ... 52887.html

Meanwhile, Dmitri Markov and the coach who took him to world championship glory have split. The 2001 world pole vault champion and coach of 10 years Alex Parnov have decided to go their separate ways, ending a relationship which produced two six-metre jumps.

Parnov, who heads up the WA Institute of Sport's pole vault program, helped Markov win his gold medal in Edmonton, where a leap of 6.05m established him as the second best pole vaulter in history behind Sergei Bubka.

The pair split after Markov's disappointing world championship in Paris in August but it was not revealed until Saturday at the A-Series in Perth.

The 28-year-old produced an Olympic qualifying jump for the 10th time since July to win with a vault of 5.65m.

"Alex and I have been together for 10 years and I have become tired of having the same coach," he explained afterwards.

"I can use my time more efficiently because I don't have to fit in with Alex's training sessions any more."

Markov said he would not be looking for a replacement for the Russian because he felt confident he could train on his own. "Maybe not just yet, but I'll definitely jump six metres this season," he promised.

Return to “Pole Vault - International”