Grigorieva's Niece Wins School Championships

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Grigorieva's Niece Wins School Championships

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:29 pm

http://www.thecouriermail.news.com.au/c ... 89,00.html

New pole vault champ on way up
Michael Crutcher
12dec03

VICKY Parnov has the sporting bloodlines and she certainly has the skill to follow her aunt, Tatiana Grigorieva, into international athletics. She also has the same physique.

But Grigorieva has noticed one difference about her Russian-born niece who starred in the National Schools Championships at ANZ Stadium yesterday.

"Her accent is different to mine," Grigorieva said.

"Vic's been here for about half of her life so she's really got that Aussie thing going better than me."

Grigorieva presented the gold medal after Parnov leapt to victory in the under-16 pole-vault, clearing an impressive 3.6m.

Her aunt cleared 4.5m to win a silver medal at the Sydney Olympics and Grigorieva believes the 13-year-old will one day reach the same heights.

"Vic is a girl who really looks as though she will represent Australia in the future," Grigorieva said.

"She is one of the girls from the generation that started pole vaulting really young.

"They haven't changed from other things so they are well on their way."

Parnov arrived in Australia at age six, living in Perth where her father Alex coaches Australia's former pole vault world champion, Dmitri Markov.

Parnov's pedigree has her on track for stardom.

Her mother is the sister of Grigorieva's husband Victor Chistiakov, who has represented Russia and Australia at the Olympics.

Chistiakov's parents were both Olympians in the 1960s.

Next year's Athens Games are way too early for Parnov but her aunt is making a concerted bid to regain her international standing.

Grigorieva has moved from Adelaide to the Gold Coast to link up with a new coach after shaking off injuries.

But the move has come at a cost, with Grigorieva forced to live apart from her husband for a few months while he trains in Italy.

"It's really difficult and we're doing everything to stay in touch," she said.

"Phone calls, the Internet, text messages, everything.

"But it might only be for three months, and that's nothing when you look at what could come from it."

More than 1200 athletes are competing at the school championships, which continue until Sunday.

Return to “Pole Vault - International”