Grigorieva Makes a Move

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Grigorieva Makes a Move

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:39 am

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,86 ... 18,00.html

Tatiana heads north
December 11, 2003

OLYMPIC silver medallist Tatiana Grigorieva has packed up her poles and landed on Queensland's Gold Coast in a bid to take her athletics career to new heights.

The Russian-born Grigorieva catapulted herself into the international spotlight when she claimed a silver medal for Australia in the pole vault at the Sydney Olympics.

However, despite Commonwealth Games gold in 2002 and a fourth placing at the 2001 world championships, Grigorieva said she needed to shake things up if she was to finish on top of the medal dais in Athens next year.

With her husband, and fellow pole vaulter, Viktor Chistiakov training in Europe, she said the time was right to make a temporary move from South Australia.

"I hope to do a lot of work here, because my husband is away. Basically everything that I'm doing on the Gold Coast is training, training and training and that's probably what I need in the lead-up for nationals and Athens," Grigorieva said.

"It's lot of things I've had to give away just in order to come here and train on the Gold Coast so definitely it's a big commitment from me.

"I wouldn't do it without thinking and hoping that it's going to bring a result.

"Now it's just basically hit the point where I realise it's not going to work in South Australia. I can't find the person I can work with and improve in my technique and my results."

Grigorieva has been on the Gold Coast for just over a fortnight training under the guidance of Serge Miroshnichenko, who is an associate of Grigorieva's Europe-based coach Vitali Petrov.

"I'm probably training harder than I have in the last few years. I'm very happy with the situation," she said.

Grigorieva said she would stay on the tourist strip for at least four months and would make a decision about a permanent move after next year's national titles.

Despite the recent retirement of former pole vault world record holder Emma George, Grigorieva said she still expected stiff competition at domestic level from Perth's Kym Howe.

"She's actually the one who can improve quite a bit this season and obviously it's a huge year coming up and I'm sure she will do everything possible to get this improvement done," she said.

"At the moment everybody's training in different cities and everything is kept secret so I've got no idea what the other girls are jumping like so I'm looking forward to the first round of the A-series."

Grigorieva said she would be competing in her "home" round of the domestic A-series at ANZ Stadium on January 23.

Return to “Pole Vault - International”