Discussion of NBC Olympic Coverage (or lack thereof)

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
birdi_gurlie
PV Pro

Discussion of NBC Olympic Coverage (or lack thereof)

Unread postby birdi_gurlie » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:32 am

or is it absurd that NBC has live feeds on fencing, table tennis, water polo, basketball, baseball, and handball...but NO track what-so-ever? I mean, the track event is going on...and it is a HUGE event obviously. I mean, I like those sports as much as anyone else [fencing is AWESOME....I saw Ghaddis fence just a few weeks ago and it was AWESOME {he, btw, is 5th in the nation...my cousin fences}] but they have live feeds on those but not any track...which is weird...
"That's how God's Word vaults across the skies from sunrise to sunset" Psalm 19:6

stargrazer
PV Beginner

Re: Is it just me...

Unread postby stargrazer » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:03 am

Without a doubt the worst Olympic coverage I've ever seen. Friday night and I'm watching beach volleyball, badminton, softball. No track and field!

BruceFlorman
PV Lover

Unread postby BruceFlorman » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:07 am

It's certainly not just you. :confused:

OUvaulterUSAF
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter and then some
Lifetime Best: 5.27m
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby OUvaulterUSAF » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:41 am

oh yeah, i'm watching the entire race walk event on USA right now. It's pretty said about track coverage. But they did do a pretty good job on covering the prelims and finals on the shotput.
wo xi huan cheng gan tiao.

OUvaulterUSAF
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter and then some
Lifetime Best: 5.27m
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby OUvaulterUSAF » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:52 am

Oh and now i'm watching women's team play on table tennis.
wo xi huan cheng gan tiao.

sooch90
PV Pro
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby sooch90 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:37 am

haha and they showed every prelim, semi final, and final for like all the swimming events

birdi_gurlie
PV Pro

Unread postby birdi_gurlie » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:47 pm

I have no problem that they are showing those sports but they didnt even have a live feed online. Thats just CRAZY.

From NBC.com:
"The 2008 Olympic track & field competition can be viewed on the networks of NBC Universal, with extensive coverage in Primetime on NBC. For complete TV listings for track & field, click here. For additional track & field video, including highlights and long-form replays, click here. "

Extensive coverage during Primetime, my butt. They had very little track...they didnt have ANY until 11pm and then right at PV was starting, they went off the air and came back on as soon as it was over. I know they need to show the news, but still.
"That's how God's Word vaults across the skies from sunrise to sunset" Psalm 19:6

PVCookieman
PV Newbie
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, Parent
Lifetime Best: 16-6
Favorite Vaulter: Earl Bell

Unread postby PVCookieman » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:52 pm

It seems the story will never change.......... Track & Field continues to be abused, and PV is the whippin boy. :crying: I realize that it was only the prelims, but at least give an update, or report on the same day. I suppose NBC could mention that .....newsflash!....Jenn, and April made the finals tonight on Primetime coverage!

I realize that the men's competition is still days away, but our man Stew Hartwig, to my knowledge, isn't getting much if any press about being there at nearly 41 years of age. Nothing against her, but Dara Torres (swimmer) has been on the air every freakin day being hyped because of her age. One announcer (Collinsworth, I believe) even commented that her making the team was remarkable because it "could be compared to a T&F athlete making it because of the explosive nature of the events.......and you don't see any T&F athletes on the teamat that age." Check the roster Bucko! I hope Stew gets his fair-due during T&F coverage. He's a great guy and his story is great one.

BTW....the Trampoline, and Badmiton coverage has been awesome! LOL

birdi_gurlie
PV Pro

Unread postby birdi_gurlie » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:34 pm

Yeah...I was thinking about the age thing too! lol, I was like "uh...there's another person just as old as she is! May not be female, but it's track!"

yeah, the trampolinging and diving is pretty awesome...I don't like badmiton as much but w/e.

However, the schedule SAID that the women's pole vault final will be on TV...but I'm betting there won't be as much as we'd like, lol. I still think its weird that its not even ONLINE. They have NO new track videos....all of theirs are from the olympic trials or a few interviews.

CowtownPV
PV Follower
Expertise: HS coach
Favorite Vaulter: Bob

Unread postby CowtownPV » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:33 pm

Finally saw some vault at the end of this afternoons coverage. They showed a Chinese vaulter have the pole ripped out of her hands, and one jump by April, Jenn and Isi. About what I expected for the prelims. Now lets get back to sychronized diving, badminton and some table tennis.
Winners find a way to win, losers find an excuse.

UWvaulter
PV Whiz
Expertise: post collegiate vaulter, high school coach,
Lifetime Best: 18'9"
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Unread postby UWvaulter » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:15 pm

Wanna comment to NBC on their coverage? Write them a short little e-mail. nbcolympicsfeedback@nbcuni.com I did.

PVCookieman
PV Newbie
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, Parent
Lifetime Best: 16-6
Favorite Vaulter: Earl Bell

Unread postby PVCookieman » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:21 pm

Thanks for the coverage feedback link. After I vented this afternoon :mad: I wished I knew where to send them some comments. I'll use it! ;)

Return to “Pole Vault - International”