Sureka Sets New Pole Vault Record

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Sureka Sets New Pole Vault Record

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Oct 02, 2003 12:12 pm

http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/holnus/07282210.htm

Sureka sets new record in pole-vault
Bangalore, Sep 28.(PTI): Tamil Nadu's V S Sureka created a new national record in the women's pole-vault with an effort of 3.51 metres on the opening day of the the 43rd Open National Athletic Championship here today.
At the Sree Kanteerava Stadium, the 19-year-old from Chennai -- continuing from her good form at the recent inter-state meet at Jamshedpur where finsihed first -- shattered the 3.45 metre mark set at New Delhi last year by Karamjit Kaur (Police).
Faring below her best here, Karamjit had to be satisfied in sharing silver with Suman of Haryana, both of whom came out with an identical 3.30 metres in the event.

http://www.deccanherald.com/deccanherald/sep29/sp1.asp

Surekha steps out of the shadows

By Rajeev K
DH News Service BANGALORE, Sept 28
Getting to grips with the basics of pole vaulting two and a half years ago, V S Surekha had one image firmly in her mind -- that of Karamjeet Kaur effortlessly sailing over the bar. The pioneer of Indian women’s pole vaulting was the one she looked upto as she took her first tentative jumps at the pit. Today, at the Sree Kanteerava Stadium, the Tamil Nadu athlete stepped out of Karamjeet’s shadow and into the spotlight, displacing her idol as the top pole vaulter in the country with a fine performance.

Surekha cleared 3.51 metres, bettering Karamjeet’s national record by a centimetre and claiming the opening day’s honours at the 43rd Open National athletic championship. Till Surekha took the run and went past the bar effortlessly on her first attempt, there was very little to cheer about, despite a new champion emerging in the men’s 100 metres in the form of Karnataka’s Vilas Nilagund.

Surekha was in supreme form today, clearing every height in her first attempt after starting at 3.10 metres. Karamjeet, of Punjab Police and Suman of Haryana matched her till 3.30 metres and went out at 3.40. That ensured Surekha the gold and she boldly asked for 3.51 metres, a notch higher than what Karamjeet had managed at the Federation Cup in July.

Even as her mother Pushpa Kumari folded her hands and prayed to the almighty on the sidelines, Surekha showed no hesitation whatsoever and went past it easily before pumping her fist in joy. She then asked for 3.60 metres but narrowly failed in her attempts.

“I am very happy but I would have been happier had I been able to clear 3.60,” said an excited Surekha, a final year BCS student at the MOP Vaishnav College in Chennai. Two and half years back, Surekha left long jump to focus on pole vault and the decision has paid off for the 19-year-old, who has now set her targets higher. “I want to reach 3.80 by the end of this year and clear 4.00 metres then,” added Surekha, who had won the inter-state meet in Jamshedpur earlier this month.

“That time, I was clearing each height on my final attempt and that gave tense moments to my coach. Today, I had a smooth sailing, and I am happy for that,” she said, and revealed she still had a picture of Karamjeet in her book. Karamjeet, who failed to match her best today, shared the second spot with Suman.

http://newstodaynet.com/01oct/ld6.htm

CM presents cash award to pole vault champion
NT Bureau
Chennai, Oct 1:
Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa today gave away cash award of Rs one lakh to V Surekha, who won a gold medal in the pole vault event at the 43rd National Open Athletic Championship in Bangalore recently. The Chief Minister congratulated the 19-year-old athlete for her record-breaking effort to grab the gold. She said Surekha's feat has made Tamilnadu and women all over the country proud. It may be recalled that Surekha was enrolled under the Champions Development Scheme following Jayalalithaa's instructions. She received imported spikes, two pairs of sports shoes and imported vaulting poles during her training. Surekha's parents and her coach Manickaraj were also present at the Secretariat today.

Return to “Pole Vault - International”