Parnov forbidden from helping Walker

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Parnov forbidden from helping Walker

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:24 am

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/breaking ... 5&mail=yes

Walker on top of the world

Spokane pole vaulter first American male to win world pole vault title
Associated Press
September 1, 2007

OSAKA, Japan -- Brad Walker drew almost as much attention for his blue Mohawk haircut as his pole vaulting.

That wasn't easy to do, considering he won the event Saturday night at the world track and field championships. Walker, a graduate of University High School and the University of Washington, captured the title by being the first vaulter in the final to clear 19 feet, 2 3/4 inches.

He is the first American male to win a world pole vault title.

"It feels phenomenal," said the former Titan and Husky, who's also the reigning indoor champion. "I couldn't be happier."

The haircut was a spur-of-the-moment decision. Walker said he always competes better with a fresh haircut, so he recruited U.S. teammate Jacob Pauli to give him a trim.

Pauli did more than that. It was Pauli's idea to go with the dye job -- it was supposed to be black, but turned out a cross between blue and purple. He also cut in stripes that resembled lightning bolts.

"He asked if I wanted to add the stripes and I said, 'Lightning's fast. That can't be a bad thing,'" Walker said. "We thought some speedy lines would add some pizazz."

After clearing his winning height, Walker felt a little twinge in his back. He said he's glad that no one cleared the next height of 19-4 3/4.

"I had to dig pretty deep," said Walker, adding he had a lot of pain from two bulging discs. "I've had to back off training quite a bit."

Walker may also have to back off his future trips to Australia. He recently traveled Down Under to spend time with renowned Russian pole vault coach Alex Parnov, who works at the Western Australia Institute of Sports.

"Alex has been told not to help me," Walker said. "In response to that, I was motivated. Alex is one of the best coaches around. It takes more than a couple of weeks down in a country to build an athlete. I was a little bummed out. I put that in the fire and used it as fuel."

Walker's primary coach is Pat Lacari, but he visited Parnov just to work on technique.

"I didn't learn any training strategies," said Walker, who has the world's best vault this season at 19-6 1/4. "In terms of what I gained in Australia, it was a fun trip with a lot of cool guys."

Pain wasn't going to keep Walker from competing at worlds. Then again, he has a high pain threshold. At the 2006 world indoor championships in Moscow, Walker hit his head on a warmup run. He was examined and allowed to compete, winning the event in 19-1/4.

As he wheeled a portable suitcase behind him Saturday, Walker moved from one interview to the next. He said it's now just beginning to sink in that he's a world champion.

"This is incredible. You always try to peak at a championship," Walker said. "Luckily for me, I've been able to put together some good jumps. But I've got a little work to do to get my back healthy. We'll see how everything goes."

As for the haircut, he was pleased with it.

"I couldn't decide if I should leave it blonde or do something crazy," Walker said, grinning.

Russ
PV Master

Unread postby Russ » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:12 am

Okay. I'll bite. The sentence is passive. "Alex has been told...."

Who? Who told Parnov not to help Brad???? I seem to recall that we pole vaulters pretty much help each other out all the time.

This sounds problematic.
Russ

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:41 am

Russ wrote:Okay. I'll bite. The sentence is passive. "Alex has been told...."

Who? Who told Parnov not to help Brad???? I seem to recall that we pole vaulters pretty much help each other out all the time.

This sounds problematic.

I would imagine the Australian Athletics Federation (or whatever they are called) weren't happy about their star coach helping their star athletes' main rival.

Perhaps Alan can shed some light on the topic.

SlickVT
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post-Collegiate Vaulter, College Coach, High School Coach

Unread postby SlickVT » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:58 pm

Hopefully the Aussies will allow Alan to speak to us...

Haha.
Vertical Technique Pole Vault Club
Blacksburg, Virginia
verticaltechnique.com

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:26 pm

The difference is Parnov is on the payroll and Launder is retired.

If USATF actually paid coaches, you wouldn't see foreign athletes training under USATF-paid coaches either.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

TreyDECA
PV Pro
Expertise: Former HS, College, and current Elite vaulter/decathlete

Unread postby TreyDECA » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:07 am

achtungpv wrote:The difference is Parnov is on the payroll and Launder is retired.

If USATF actually paid coaches, you wouldn't see foreign athletes training under USATF-paid coaches either.

true, we most definately would not... it was such a bummer seeing coach clayton (auburn) at worlds wearing a bright yellow jamaica shirt with a huge smile on his face!! i felt like he was girl and he was cheating on me with maurice!! who, by the way, PRed in the vault by 20cm (4.80m) on the way to a huge awesome overall PR and a silver medal!
8700... mark it down

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:35 am

achtungpv wrote:If USATF actually paid coaches, you wouldn't see foreign athletes training under USATF-paid coaches either.

Foreign athletes can train at the Olympic Training center (for a fee)

Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Unread postby Lax PV » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:51 am

TreyDECA wrote:
achtungpv wrote:The difference is Parnov is on the payroll and Launder is retired.

true, we most definately would not... it was such a bummer seeing coach clayton (auburn) at worlds wearing a bright yellow jamaica shirt with a huge smile on his face!! i felt like he was girl and he was cheating on me with maurice!! who, by the way, PRed in the vault by 20cm (4.80m) on the way to a huge awesome overall PR and a silver medal!

Maurice Smith had a HUGE two days... lots of PRs and near bests

Return to “Pole Vault - International”