New Bubka?

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
das_1971
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, bum
Lifetime Best: smthing lo
Favorite Vaulter: Don Pablo Espanol

New Bubka?

Unread postby das_1971 » Sun Aug 31, 2003 8:18 pm

Go here

http://www.stabhochsprung.com/compare_2_movies.htm

Make these your two movies

movies/20030828_Gibilisco_590.mov
movies/20000922_Bubka_610trng_lr.mov

Run push a button, doesn't matter which one. Line up the movies so that each one is on the frame where the pole makes contact, then let the magic begin.
I knew they were alike, but dang....
Ow

zack

Unread postby zack » Sun Aug 31, 2003 8:33 pm

Gibilisco still has a ways to go to be compared to Bubka. But the first time I saw him jump there were definitely some similarities on the runway.
Also, that in that video Bubka is a shadow of his former self. That was after he had been out for about 1.5 years with an achilles injury. It was taken in Sydney before the Olympics in which he NH'd in qual. His speed and takeoff are nothing like they were before.

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Sun Aug 31, 2003 11:56 pm

zack wrote:Gibilisco still has a ways to go to be compared to Bubka. But the first time I saw him jump there were definitely some similarities on the runway.

I'd hope so, he's being coached by petrov.......

BTW, check out Bubka's 6.01m jump from the 1999 WC at the bottom of the list. It doesn't get much better than that.......
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

das_1971
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, bum
Lifetime Best: smthing lo
Favorite Vaulter: Don Pablo Espanol

Unread postby das_1971 » Mon Sep 01, 2003 11:09 am

yeah, the 6.01 jump is a lot better, but I couldn't pass up the side by side comp. Its just scarry looking, there that close...
Ow

mowad1
PV Whiz

Unread postby mowad1 » Wed Sep 03, 2003 11:31 am

The side view from NBC's coverage of that vault is equally impressive. Every time I vatch it I get goose bumps. :dazed: I guess because it looks super human. Has there ever been a better vault caught on tape?

SlickVT
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post-Collegiate Vaulter, College Coach, High School Coach

Sorry

Unread postby SlickVT » Wed Sep 03, 2003 1:10 pm

Sorry, i dont see any similarity. I dont know what gil looks like on the runway, but the in-air activity of Bubka and this guy look nothing alike. Bubka's trademark was a long, extremely fast, powerful trail leg, and Gil has virtually no trail leg past 3-oclock. Hes obviously jumping high but in order to be compared to Bubka, he has alot of work to do yet.
(Not like I am a bubka or anything, but this topic and discussion really surprised me.) :mad:
Vertical Technique Pole Vault Club
Blacksburg, Virginia
verticaltechnique.com

vaultguru6
PV Pro

Unread postby vaultguru6 » Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:05 pm

I'd have to agree with Slick. The first 3/4 of the vault have very little if any similarities to bubka. Only the very top of his jump looks smililair to that of bubka. But his take off and especially leg swing can hardly be compared.

Cpvault
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former College/Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.50
Favorite Vaulter: Dean Starkey

Unread postby Cpvault » Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:28 pm

I think everyone is refering to the most important phases of the vault: RUN and TAKEOFF.
I definitely see the similarities in the run, and he's getting there with the takeoff. You can definitely tell that Gibilisco is a Petrov protoge'.

Ajint_Smith
PV Nerd

Unread postby Ajint_Smith » Thu Sep 04, 2003 5:27 pm

I don't know if it's a big deal, but does anyone else notice that bubka's penultimate step is still quite a bit shorter than Gibilisco's? Does it even matter?
The Matrix has you...

Return to “Pole Vault - International”