Confidence is gone

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
wayupthere
PV Whiz

Confidence is gone

Unread postby wayupthere » Mon Jun 09, 2003 10:01 pm

just last week i was takin my second full vault. Everything is goin perfect i was at the peak of the bend and all of a sudden my top hand slips. i was flipped upside down and while slippin off i really thought my head my land in the box. I got in to the edge of the pit pretty fine and was ok. But ever since this is happend i havent been able to get on my bigger pole like i used to. The tape that was on the pole when it slipped was real old and slick. Now ive put reverse tape on there so it def wont slip and i run real fast and once i plant the pole i just cant get in to it like i used 2 and drive. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions. My dad told me to just attack and be the boss of the pole and act like ur gonna whip the poles a** and not to think about it.
hmmmm

theflyingkorean
PV Follower

Unread postby theflyingkorean » Tue Jun 10, 2003 1:18 am

i feel your pain, thats happened to me too. one quick question, when you reverse tape, how do you get it so there isnt a little notch in it. the officials called me on that during the sectional meet, and i had to retape normal.

wayupthere
PV Whiz

Unread postby wayupthere » Tue Jun 10, 2003 2:01 am

theflyingkorean wrote:i feel your pain, thats happened to me too. one quick question, when you reverse tape, how do you get it so there isnt a little notch in it. the officials called me on that during the sectional meet, and i had to retape normal.

well u mean by the notch when u tape the pole normal for like 2 inches then twist it around? if so i have no clue. i talked to a PV coach once who said that they had tape that was doublesided in all the new magazines. unfortunately i havent seen this anywhere.
hmmmm

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Tue Jun 10, 2003 8:31 am

The best way to get confidence back is just through repitition and time. Last summer i was vaulting and broke a pole, which i had done b4, but this time as i got off the pad, i noticed my hand was bleeding. About 3 hours later i counted 17 stitches plus internal ones. Took me 3 months before I could even hold a pole again. I used to hold at 15'9 and so far this year i haven't held above 15'4 cuz everytime the pole gets even normal bend, i start to get freaked. But as i keep takin more jumps forcing myself to hold higher, things have gotten better and better. Best of luck to ya.
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

ennairb
PV Nerd

Unread postby ennairb » Thu Jun 12, 2003 2:18 pm

yea, about that tape in the magazines ... i ordered some ... its like $11 ... it's really hard to tape the pole because it's really really sticky, but once you get it taped, it works well ... but then it gets really dirty from whatever it touches ... because everything sticks to it since it's double-sided ... i prefer the good old fashioned coach's tape, but everyone's different i guess ... try the tape tho ... the worst that could happen is that u don't like it.

wayupthere
PV Whiz

Unread postby wayupthere » Thu Jun 12, 2003 3:43 pm

ennairb wrote:yea, about that tape in the magazines ... i ordered some ... its like $11 ... it's really hard to tape the pole because it's really really sticky, but once you get it taped, it works well ... but then it gets really dirty from whatever it touches ... because everything sticks to it since it's double-sided ... i prefer the good old fashioned coach's tape, but everyone's different i guess ... try the tape tho ... the worst that could happen is that u don't like it.

what magazines do i find it in?
hmmmm

KidsChewableValume
PV Newbie

Unread postby KidsChewableValume » Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:24 am

Well, I too suffered from a similar problem. My hands slipped on one of my vaults and i ended up with my head 4" away from the box and a bleading palm. I ended up with 10 stitches in a perfect right angle that matched the side of the box. I was out for about a month. When i came back I couldn't vault for the first few days. Run throughs and riding throughwas all i could do. But then I thought "screw it" and ran like hell into the plant and started jumping. Once you get over the mind set you can start vaulting agian.

ennairb
PV Nerd

Unread postby ennairb » Fri Jun 13, 2003 10:35 am

what magazines do i find it in?

I ordered mine from MF Athletic ... if you don't have the magazine tho ... u can probably get it thru their website - www.mfathletic.com
"Being grown up isn't half as fun as growing up - these are the best days of our lives. The only thing that matters is just following your heart and eventually you'll finally get it right."

- The Ataris -

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”