how often should you go through a full vault?

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
efhspolevaulter91
PV Wannabe

how often should you go through a full vault?

Unread postby efhspolevaulter91 » Mon May 01, 2006 11:39 pm

i was wondering how many times a week should you go through a full vault when there is a meet that weekend? should you only do drills the entire week?
kick to the sky

ryansanta
PV Whiz

Unread postby ryansanta » Tue May 02, 2006 12:43 am

I try to get in a full day midweek if I can, but I offen find myself showing up to meets with only a short run day, some running, pole runs, and other drill work.

LancerVaulter07
PV Pro

Unread postby LancerVaulter07 » Tue May 02, 2006 11:15 am

we usually have meets tuesday and saturday and will vault thursday at practice... drills and running on other days
"Just Fly"

AKell
PV Nerd

Unread postby AKell » Mon May 08, 2006 9:41 pm

I usually get in normal days and then pre meet is drills and a few full vaults.
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. -Pre

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Wed May 10, 2006 7:59 pm

Personally, i only do full vaults with my coach in practice or at meets twice a week, and then 2 days are a running and lifting workotut for speed, and 2 days are vaulting drills. thats basically my 6 days of workout.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Unread postby Lax PV » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:07 am

I might be misunderstanding this, but here is the impression I am getting. Are you calling a "full vault" a full approach vault, or just a complete jump with swing and finish?

In case one, I would say two times a week in the preseason, and once competiting on a regular basis, I think that once is good, for an experienced athlete. When speaking of a beginer level vaulter, jumping a smaller pole/lower bar, will not be as intense on the body. When I was in HS, I probably jumped 2 or 3 times a week, including the competition. Now in college, we jump full once a week usually in practice, and then the comp at the end of the week, because it gets to be too much.

As far as the other idea... I would tell you to swing up and vault everytime you leave the runway (unless something goes wrong). I think too many people get into this idea of learning how to pole vault, then how to bend a pole, and then they try to learn how to pole vault all over again. If the grip height and pole selection is correct, then the pole should bend naturally. Now, some technical work might have to be done with the lower hand and hip placement/movement, but I would say that everyone should swing up and "pole vault" anytime it is safe to. A quote I like to live by when coaching is that we are trying to "pole vault," no "pole bend."

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”