building muscle ectomorph

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:34 pm

Marengo139 wrote:Make sure you are eating more than usual and taking a multivitamin and maybe some protien. Make sure if your trying to bulk you try to get at least 1g of protien per pound of bodyweight You should see more muscle start to build

That figure is way off.....the average person is .8 grams of protien per KG of body weight......a 180 pound person would not need 160 grams of protien....they would need closer to 75.

Also, the .8 is for a person that sits on their butt all day. Athletes need 1.2-1.5 or more depending on what type of training they do.
Man Up and Jump

dtrack28
PV Beginner

plus

Unread postby dtrack28 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:19 pm

plus you body can only handle 30 or so grams of protein every few hours so buyin protein supplements with 50 grams of protein per serving is a waste (unless you only take a little over half a serving along with each of the 3-5 meals per day you are eating).

VaultMarq26
PV Lover

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:46 pm

it is amazing how much money people spend on certian supplements. In the end they just pee it out.
Man Up and Jump

PaulVaulter
PV Nerd

Unread postby PaulVaulter » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:28 am

it is amazing how much money people spend on certian supplements. In the end they just pee it out.

Are you going to back that up with any evidence or do we just take your word on it?
Aim high, then at least if you miss you won't shoot yourself in the foot.

VaultMarq26
PV Lover

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:54 am

I was just commenting on dtrack28 post.....when dtrack28 said "body can only handle 30 or so grams of protien" I wanted to say that the excess is just urinated out.

Creatine is much the same.....supplimentation will not necessarily effect people if they already have a high creatine diet......

I didn't think that I needed to show research on what would be considered common knowledge in the nutritional community.
Man Up and Jump

PaulVaulter
PV Nerd

Unread postby PaulVaulter » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:31 am

It was just the fact that it was a very misleading statement for members of this board who may not have much knowledge of supplementation, and it was not clear you were referring just to excess protein.

As for your creatine point, an average diet will have about 1gram of creatine in, where as supplementation, just in the maintenance phase requires 5-10g. There is only 4g in a kilo of raw steak, and some of that is denatured by cooking.

Creatine is one of the most tested supplements out there, and in the vast majority of the blind tests conducted, it gave higher strength gains than a placebo.

Thats common knowledge among the people I train with, but I also assume some people on this board wouldn't know it.
Aim high, then at least if you miss you won't shoot yourself in the foot.

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”