Gaining confidence

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
mohammed
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 10.6
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Gaining confidence

Unread postby mohammed » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:19 pm

Hello
Whenever I vault and I have to go up grip or go up a pole I always hesitate and I feel like I'm not going to be able to get on the pole, which I should be able to get on the pole, so I just wanted to know if anyone could give me some tips or tricks to allow me to gain more confidence to be able to get off the pole
Thank you

grandevaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: Three year highschool vaulter 1978-80. Now coaching highschoolers and competing in masters.
Lifetime Best: 11'
Favorite Vaulter: Timothy Mack

Re: Gaining confidence

Unread postby grandevaulter » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:48 pm

Confidence comes from success. Success comes from good practice. A good coach can help you with pole selection and provide you with practice material and feedback that will help you succeed. Get some help and don't get injured. :)

monteo
PV Wannabe
Expertise: High School, Club, College Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Re: Gaining confidence

Unread postby monteo » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:46 am

Good practice can and should include visualization. Of the correct technique. This should be done during practice, during the day, before going to sleep at night, right before jumping. If you can't see yourself succeeding, you have no chance. Just make sure you are visualizing the correct things, or you will build habits that will be hard to break.

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”