Mixing Technique Work and Strength Training - Okay?

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
wwstrand
PV Newbie
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, Current High School Coach, Fan
Lifetime Best: 12'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Brad Walker

Mixing Technique Work and Strength Training - Okay?

Unread postby wwstrand » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:40 am

Hello!

I am fairly new in the department of coaching, but I have researched a lot about vaulting and I am now currently helping out my high school pole vault coach. I hold a technique/condition session every Sunday (wish I could offer more days) while the kids vault with their coach on Monday's and Wednesday's. My goal is to get the most out of them in the one day we have together without going too far, and I have only an hour and a half to accomplish this. At most, I only see four kids show up however.

So, getting to my question, is it a good idea to mix strength training and technique work together? What I originally planned to do was to work on all of the technique exercises first, and then move on to strength training. This idea sounds logically sound because they can focus themselves on their form without being tired from working out.

My problem is time though... I wanted to see if anyone knew of a way to mix these things up into a circuit of sorts, rather than having two separate blocks. The problem I see with this is the fact that they might be tired after a while and won't be able to get a lot out of the technique exercises. I've never tried it, so I am not sure!

Any thoughts on this? Should I just keep to a technique block for half the time, and then working out for the other half? Or is there a way to combine these two and save time? Maybe a third option? Opinions and their reasoning would be great. :)

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”