Need help with my training program

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
jrheinh
PV Newbie
Expertise: High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'4
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Need help with my training program

Unread postby jrheinh » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:20 pm

Hey guys,
It`s been awhile since I vaulted and I`m currently working on getting back into shape. I`ve had two years off from the sport and in the fall I`m going to a small college near me and working with a fantastic coach. Right now, I`m working my butt off 5 days a week with one of the best strength coaches in the country. The training is very intense and hits every part of my body. I have about 9 month ahead of me working like this, so I know I'll be in great physical condition. What else can I be doing to improve myself? Any good drills to do at home? I`ve been thinking of doing yoga on the weekends to work on flexibility also. Any help and advice would be much appreciated. I have my eyes set on nationals and I intend to make it there.

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Re: Need help with my training program

Unread postby AVC Coach » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:18 pm

Spending some time in the gym with a trainer is nice, but you really need to spend more of that time running on the track or on hills or stadiums. You're not going to get in "pole vault shape" without it. It's not the same as body building. You need a big engine in a small frame. My athletes see the weight room every day that the weather is too bad to run outside but that's only because our indoor track runs on the inside of our weight room in our field house.

jrheinh
PV Newbie
Expertise: High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'4
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby jrheinh » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:44 am

I agree with you 100% and thank you for the input! I should've specified that I'm located in Northern Indiana so the weather is against me right now for running unfortunately. I plan on hitting the track once the weather improves. Right now I'm planning on doing 50m sprints with a chute, 100m sprints no chute, weight sled, bleachers, and 400m sprints. Anything else you would recommend?

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:45 pm

You have not mentioned gymnastics or actual vaulting practice. Strength and speed are important, but so is coordination and technique.

In fact, it's better to have good coordination and technique, and THEN build up your speed and strength, than to start with good speed and strength and then try to get coordinated. Most of the strength drills you do need to have a connection to actual pole vaulting. That's why gymnastics is better than weight lifting. In gymnastics, you're using your body weight instead of barbells and dumbells - just like when you pole vault.

I also worry that on top of the 2 years you've had off, it will be almost another full year before you actually start vaulting again.

I recommend that (if you have the opportunity) you vault at a club, or in open (non-school) meets, if for no other reason, then to just stay mentally connected with the sport; not to specifically improve your technique. That will come later when you're with your new coach.

There are many trampoline, highbar, rings, and other gymnastics drills available, and there's also countless drills using a pole (with or without a pit, and with or without a bungee).

Search PVP or google it.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”