Cael Sanderson's Training Advice

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Cael Sanderson's Training Advice

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:16 am

Below is an article from Cael Sanderson, one of the most decorated wrestlers of all time, and now quickly becoming one of the greatest coaches of all time:

http://www.caelsanderson.com/blog/dont- ... d-the-mark

I hope he doesn't mind me re-printing his article and pointing out some GREAT ideas for training in the pole vault:

"During a recent scripture study, I read about an ancient people who ultimately lost their way and ended up "falling" because "they looked beyond the mark." They rejected simple truths and "despised the words of plainness." Instead, they desired complex answers and "sought for things they could not understand."

Fascinating!! This is so common in our world today, in every area of life: sports, families, business, politics, government, etc.

As a coach, my job is to teach plain and simple truths to student athletes trying to reach their greatest potential. The truth is that there are no secrets or magic formula for success. Success comes from having a great attitude, refusing to be discouraged, working your rear end off, being humble and full of gratitude, discipline, determination, and taking 100% responsibility for your results.

So why do so many look beyond, or reject, the "plain and simple truths of success?" There are many reasons. For one, it is easier to look for answers away from ourselves and the effort we put forth, shifting blame to the coach, the referee, the weather, or other circumstances. Also, many want to do things on their own terms. They may slack in a few areas, rationalizing that they are the exception or that they can have total success with a casual commitment. Finally, it can be difficult to accept that even with a total effort and commitment, success is still not guaranteed (at least not in the form or time frame you desire).

"Complexity" is preferred to simplicity because it provides an escape or an excuse from making a total effort and total commitment.

What happens to those who "look beyond the mark?" They go around and around in circles, limiting their opportunities for progress and learning. They live without the peace of mind that comes from accepting and implementing "the plain and simple truths."

In the sport of wrestling, there is no unstoppable technique. There is a counter to every technique and there is a counter to every counter technique. There are endless techniques, endless setups, endless counters, and endless combinations of each.

Many want to win without struggle. When things get tough, they want to blame technique or look for a "complex" solution when the simple truth is that you have to battle for what you really want. There is no technique that works consistently on a quality opponent if you lack a fighting spirit.

The higher your aspirations, the greater adversity and struggle you can expect. That's what makes winning so darn fun. It's up to you. You have to earn it.

Surround yourself with great people but look no further than yourself. You are the answer. There are no guarantees that success will come in the time and form that you want it to, but without exception, success will come.

See, recognize and implement the "plain and simple truths."

Be one of the few who "don't look beyond the mark.""

I couldn't help but read this and see the connection for training for the vault. Is there a correct technique in the vault? Yes. But looking further and further into that "perfect" technique can be an excuse to never really accept and work towards the simple truths. As a vaulter or a coach, we should never let our knowledge exceed our application of that knowledge. There is no replacement for hard work and commitment.

As Cael says, "there is no technique that works consistently on a quality opponent if you lack a fighting spirit". Similarly, whether you vault like Bubka, Lavillenie, or Joe Dial, it won't matter if you lack a competitive spirit to implement your technique as efficiently as possible. For some reason we only tend to take notice of athletes once they have jumped high- Lavillenie is Case in Point. He breaks the world record, and instead of observing his competitive spirit and attitude day-in and day-out and his commitment to success, we nit-pick his technique, as though that is the solution and the "Magic Formula" for success. We automatically assume that every athlete has equal competitive spirit, so that the "Secret" to jumping high must be in an athletes technique. This is never the case. Technique is important, but it is not the holy grail of jumping high.

So take Cael's advice and "See, recognize, and implement the 'Plain and simple truths'" and avoid over-complicating what it takes to be successful
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: Cael Sanderson's Training Advice

Unread postby KirkB » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:13 pm

:yes:

This also touches in the topic that I posted elsewhere a couple days ago - that vaulters need to be accountable and take responsibility for the results of their meets - without blaming their coach (or anyone or anything else).

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Re: Cael Sanderson's Training Advice

Unread postby AVC Coach » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:49 pm

I know it's been a while since this post was made but I just saw it. Great find on the article, Jason! I agree that the athlete's competitive spirit is what sets them apart from others in the pack with similar skills and abilities. From what I've observed over the years, mentality overcomes physicality most of the time. Thanks for posting this!

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”