Identifying weaknesses through testing

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
IAmTheWalrus
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current College Coach, Aspiring to be Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.06m

Identifying weaknesses through testing

Unread postby IAmTheWalrus » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:29 pm

Hey guys. As the start of the college season approaches I wanted to inquire about testing for identifying athlete weaknesses. I'm looking for that next level down of information, if it exists. Speed traps, long jump, 1RM tests, and vertical leap can help identify which biomotor abilities are weakest, but does anyone have any advice on determining what the cause of said weakness is? I'm primarily concerned with speed, so if my athlete's need to improve their speed, which as pole vaulters we all want to do, what testing/analysis would I do to determine, beyond genetics, what is required to improve their speed.

Brainstorming I have things like this
- Squat 1RM is less than 2x the athlete's bodyweight [Ideally the lift would have to be completed in a certain amount of time to qualify] - Address strength/power
- Difference between standing vertical and a depth jump vertical - may indicate problems with RFD or eccentric strength
- Can't be reactive in hurdle hops - RFD/eccentric strength

Mechanics is always going to be a big contributor to speed or lack there of, but is difficult to measure objectively. I'm sure there are more, and better, tests to do though. With what I have I think I can basically classify athletes into 3 groups:
- Those who need to address strength [i.e. lift heavy]
- Those who need to address RFD [ i.e. plyometrics]
- Those who need to address both

Feel free to share any other testing advice or anecdotes as well. I know that at the end of the day testing is never perfect, and you can't put too much stock into it, but with limited time I would like to focus my attention on training the weak links as much as possible.

Thanks.
-Nick

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Re: Identifying weaknesses through testing

Unread postby vaultmd » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:25 pm

One the evaluation side, google Functional Movement Screening (FMS) or Selective Functional Movement Assessment (SFMA). A book by Gray Cook would be a good place to start.

As for what to do about any movement dysfunction, Neurokinetic Therapy by David Weinstock would be a good place to start. I'm sure there are a lot of similar systems; but this one is easily learned.

After you get stuff working right with these two steps, then you can start with the stretches, drills and strength exercises.

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”