Lifting 2 days before a meet

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
bb12334
PV Wannabe
Expertise: High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 12
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka, Renaud Lavillenie

Lifting 2 days before a meet

Unread postby bb12334 » Mon May 27, 2013 9:34 pm

Hello,
So I have my state championship this coming Thursday. Tomorrow is going to be my last vaulting practice and I usually like to lift on vaulting days. Would lifting on tuesday hinder my performance on Thursday though?
Thanks

PV2020
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Lázaro Borges

Re: Lifting 2 days before a meet

Unread postby PV2020 » Mon May 27, 2013 10:11 pm

bb12334 wrote:Hello,
So I have my state championship this coming Thursday. Tomorrow is going to be my last vaulting practice and I usually like to lift on vaulting days. Would lifting on tuesday hinder my performance on Thursday though?
Thanks

Not really worth the risk. But it also depends on what you normally do. I would never squat that close to a meet, but if you are just going to do a few reps of power clean or snatch it sometimes helps get your system tuned up. The key is not to do anything that would fatigue your system.

FYI. If you have not been doing Olympic lifts, don't start now!

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Mon May 27, 2013 11:48 pm

I agree with PV2020, but also ...

It depends on what meet you're peaking for. If there's a more important meet coming up (and you don't consider the State Championships important enough to peak for), then train thru it as usual.

But if you really want to do your best, and PR at the State Meet, then don't lift!

It certainly won't help you jump any higher in the meet, and your body muscles will more than likely not have enough time to recover from all the heavy lifting. To "tone" your muscles, I'd do some light sprinting rather than lifting. And maybe some gymnastics and stretching. Nothing too strenuous.

I can't imagine many meets more important than the State Meet, but I could be wrong.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

bel142
PV Pro
Expertise: Open Post Collegiate, Collegiate Coach, BS - Kinesiology, MEd - Advanced Level Coaching

Unread postby bel142 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:56 am

There are a few thoughts, for pre-meet, some coaches will have you do a few reps of a light Olympic lift to, as stated above, stay tuned up neurologically. Another approach is do one or two reps of 90-100% of a lift to target the upper level of muscle fiber. The only way to train muscle fibers is to target muscle fibers and fatigue them. SO as a pre-meet doing one ore two reps of a deal lift or a clean will activate those fibers rarely recruited.

If you are not used to training those muscles you will hinder your performance. Meanwhile the discussion and effects of post activation potentiation might not carry over into 24+ hours.

IAmTheWalrus
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current College Coach, Aspiring to be Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.06m

Unread postby IAmTheWalrus » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:53 pm

My opinion is that you should stick pretty close to what you're used to. If you normally train through meets, then a perfectly structured taper will probably throw you off. I would probably stick with the same routine, and just tone back the volume and weight for lifting workouts, and focus on quality over quantity on the track and pole vaulting. I wouldn't worry too much about tapering. Whatever makes you feel most confident come the meet.

Did the meet already happen?
-Nick

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”