Last 2 steps of run

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
dtnguyen
PV Newbie
Expertise: College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Steve Hooker

Last 2 steps of run

Unread postby dtnguyen » Tue May 21, 2013 12:34 pm

Hi all. I am posting on here so maybe I can get some tips and drills on how to fix my problem. With my vault I always vault under. My last 2 steps are just very long and I think it has truly hindered my ability to go higher. I can get away with being 2' under on a 14' pole but when I try to get 15'+ poles I get so far under and it just shots me straight up every single time and it is very annoying. Does anyone have any drills or tips to fix being long?

Thank you,
Dennis

coachjvinson
PV Whiz
Expertise: I have never recognized the concept of limits-I think an athlete who accepts limits is dead-Bubka
Lifetime Best: 0
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: COOP 4.55m and Mondo

Re: Last 2 steps of run

Unread postby coachjvinson » Mon May 27, 2013 2:29 am

vault from 1L and 2Ls - make yourself vault from a takeoff step that is on/out from the short run with an emphasis on the cadence and rhythm of a quick and powerful penultimate and ultimate step (last 2 steps) on an appropriate grip/pole - doesn't necessarily have to be straight/stiff pole either...

Only when you have the desired results from 1/2Ls then allow yourself to move back to 3 and then 4 etc...
V
PURSUITOF2016

altius
PV Rock Star

Re: Last 2 steps of run

Unread postby altius » Mon May 27, 2013 3:43 am

"I can get away with being 2' under on a 14' pole". Now I would really like to see film of you doing that! Hope you have good health insurance.

Do 20/20 s and learn to control your last six steps. On all short approach drills make sure that the last three steps are the fastest and shortest.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”