Wrist Injury

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
mjsuggspv
PV Beginner
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Wrist Injury

Unread postby mjsuggspv » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:55 am

For about two weeks I have had two different injuries to my left arm after moving up to a bigger pole. The first injury was to the back of my upper arm and was very strenous to vault on, I could still vault but it hurt when vaulting and lifting. I gave it a little time off and it healed up but after that I did something to my wrist. When I push back on my wrist it starts to hurt. My coach made me set up a doctors appointment to make sure it is nothing serious since I had a wrist injury several month ago. At rest my wrist is fine. I've been soaking my wrist in a Epsom salt solution for 30 minutes warm, 30 minutes ice water, 30 minutes warm water which seems to help.

I have a track meet today at my school. The vaulters competiting today are primarly freshman all under 6', so it would be an easy win today and I would score some points. Should I try to compete today since my wrist has loosened up with the hot/ice Epsom solution and I would only need to have a couple vaults or should I just stay off of it and wait until it's completlely healed? Thanks for any advice.
"I think that, generally, you need to live with your sport 24 hours a day." -SB

EIUvltr
PV Pro
Expertise: Ex-collegiate pole vaulter B.S. Exercise Science ACSM personal trainer

Re: Wrist Injury

Unread postby EIUvltr » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:31 pm

little late now, but no. Wait to see what your doctor says.
"If he dies, he dies"

mjsuggspv
PV Beginner
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Re: Wrist Injury

Unread postby mjsuggspv » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:04 pm

Thank you. Back up and vaulting :D
"I think that, generally, you need to live with your sport 24 hours a day." -SB

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”