Things I learned along the way

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
EIUvltr
PV Pro
Expertise: Ex-collegiate pole vaulter B.S. Exercise Science ACSM personal trainer

Things I learned along the way

Unread postby EIUvltr » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:08 am

Over the years I've had lesser beings preach to me the importance of training the core and the stabilizer muscles. I have yet to hear a good reason why without someone using circular logic (because you need a strong core man!). Here's my two cents.

Core strength

I hate this term. I can't find two reputable coaches with the same definition of what the core is and what it does. To me the problem is that people constantly try to define the core as a group of muscles or joints, similar to when people refer to the elusive "stabiliser (another horrible term) muscles." However, to further complicate this issue I will put forth my own definition of what the core is.

The core is a the part of the body that remains highly stable in the presence of movement on either side. The make-up of the core is highly variable depending on the athletic feat being performed. To explain the role of the core in the pole vault I'll go phase by phase.

The Run: The core is simply the torso musculature. The abdominals, spinal erectors, among others in the torso must remain taut while rapid movement occurs at the hips in order to maintain posture and counteract the torsional force caused by running with a 15 foot pole in your hands.

The takeoff/plant: The core is your entire body from your hands to your toes (unless you take-off under where this is debatable). The entire body must momentarily "pulse" in order to efficiently transfer the energy developed from the run into the potential energy of the vaulter/pole system. Sadly this is one of those things that great athletes tend to be born with and everyone else has to train their butts off to sorta get good at. One of the defining features of great athletes is the ability to quickly develop force and quickly relax. To move from static to dynamic (the swing) at the drop of a hat. The takeoff in the pole vault is no different.

The swing: Funny enough, what defines the core in the swing depends on your core strength. If you're extremely strong and you can maintain a long swing (not a tuck and shooter) then the core essentially extends from the shoulder joint all the way to the toes. If you're weaker and need to shorten your swing radius (by tucking) then the core goes back to just being the musculature of the torso since motion is occurring at the hip joints.

The push-off: Who knows

If you disagree with me, then that's great. It just proves my point that the core is a stupidly impossible thing to define. Although it is important to strengthen it ;)

Stay tuned for my overly-long post regarding lifting weights to improve vaulting performance.
"If he dies, he dies"

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Re: Things I learned along the way

Unread postby vaultmd » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:04 pm

I usually just remind athletes that the whole body participates in everything.

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”