Shin splints...stop training?

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
Rosie<3
PV Wannabe
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 9'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Shin splints...stop training?

Unread postby Rosie<3 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:52 pm

I have been getting shin splints on and off throughout the season. Every time they come back they are worse. Right now they are really really bad and at practice i have not been able to grip as high as usual because i am not running as fast, and i usually can't even go to my five left approach. I know it is the summer and i can take off from pole vault, but i would rather not. I practice 3-4 times per week but have not been running or sprinting in between. I do weight lifting and try avoiding things that bother my shins. Should i cut down the amount of times i pole vault a week until winter comes around, or is there anything i can do for shin splints/stress fractures while i am still training. I would really like to get back to running and get into really good shape for my upcoming season which is only 4 months away. I told my coach and he said i should ice them :no: which does not work at alll.....he said i should just keep icing them and put arnica cream on them. After months of doing that, it did not help.

fishman4god
PV Pro
Expertise: 4 Time all american 3 college 1 masters,Current high school pole vault coach,current masters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.81 m
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Re: Shin splints...stop training?

Unread postby fishman4god » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:57 pm

Shin splints are an inflamation of the sheath that covers the tissue group between the shin bones. Iceing must be done aggresively as in rubbing the ice with force against the sore area (it wil hurt alot) and in many cases if you can break up that area (active deep massage) that is affected will they get better(not really a fun option) direct iceing like an ice pack without the associated deep massage of the affected area really will not do much(as you have discovered).......running will aggravate the condition and only extended rest will actually "cure" the problem. Shin splints are not permanent and a few weeks of rest will probably do wonders. Best wishes in your training.

Rosie<3
PV Wannabe
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 9'6"

Unread postby Rosie<3 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:50 pm

thanks, i really want them to feel better for my upcoming season but i still want to keep training. I will do that with the ice, and see if it helps. Thanks!

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:22 pm

I strongly recommend taking a break. One of the best ways to run fast and jump high is to feel fresh. And this time in year you should take advantage of the ability to rest. Even if it is just two weeks.

Not all shin splints are the same. It is more of a broad term meaning shin pain. But not all shin pain is caused by the same thing. Sometimes it may be a hair line stress fracture or compartment syndrome.

I suffered from them for years and when I eventually just took a long break and started working out in slow increments and adding a little at a time things got a lot better.

drjamesstoxendc
PV Newbie
Expertise: Doctor
Lifetime Best: 0
Favorite Vaulter: Michael Jordan

Unread postby drjamesstoxendc » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:33 pm

Hello there, I hope that my website and insight on this matter can help you with your training and it ultimately will allow you to continue training.

What I have found is that shin splints are usually a result of impacts that are not absorbed well.

Here are 3 video tutorials that will show you deep tissue treatments to help release some spasms in your foot and shins that may be causing or resulting from this hard landing.

Video Tutorial #75 The Deep Tissue Treatment Dr. James Stoxen DC Uses For Shin Splints

http://teamdoctorsblog.com/2012/05/25/v ... n-splints/

Video Tutorial #80 Dr James Stoxen DC Demonstrates How To Self-Help Deep Tissue Treatment Of The Subtalar Joint Of The Ankle On The Inside.

http://teamdoctorsblog.com/2011/08/01/v ... the-ankle/

Video Tutorial #81 Dr James Stoxen DC Demonstrates How To Self-Help Deep Tissue Treatment Of The Ankle (Subtalar Joint Outside)

http://teamdoctorsblog.com/2011/08/03/v ... the-ankle/

Video Tutorial #87 Dr James Stoxen DC Demonstrates Self-Help Deep Tissue Of The Ankle Mortise

http://teamdoctorsblog.com/2011/08/10/v ... e-mortise/

Here are my last two articles you might find helpful:

How Does The Body Spring Back Safely From Impacts Of Running and Walking?

http://teamdoctorsblog.com/2012/06/13/v ... f-running/

Self-Tests & Exercises To Reduce Over Pronation and Over Supination From Impacts During Walking and Running

http://teamdoctorsblog.com/2012/06/18/v ... n-muscles/

If you have any further problems there are a various amount of topics on the website.

teamdoctorsblog.com

My regards,
Dr James Stoxen DC, President, Team Doctors The Barefoot Running Doctor

Kate_Quay
PV Newbie

Unread postby Kate_Quay » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:39 pm

Your coach is correct in that icing is extremely important to the healing process. We know that R.I.C.E. therapy—rest, ice, compression, and elevation—is the best way to treat many injuries, although it can be challenging to find time to follow all the steps. Companies that cater to athletes, such as RecoFit, have created products to make this process easier. RecoFit's shin splint therapy sleeve combines two of the four components of the R.I.C.E therapy. These sleeves are an excellent tool in the healing process and can be used for recovery after your shin splints heal. https://recofitsports.com/products-page/compression-components/shin-splint-therapy-compression-sleeve/

fishman4god
PV Pro
Expertise: 4 Time all american 3 college 1 masters,Current high school pole vault coach,current masters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.81 m
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby fishman4god » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:56 am

Just remember shin splints is not always an injury per say. It is a chronic condition that can occur in any athlete at almost any time during training. The only sure way to get rid of the "splints" is to rest. Not saying that there is not good advice being given,but in the off season (now) rest would be best.

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”