Speed Training

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
wfpv
PV Beginner
Expertise: Sophmore high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11 feet
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Shawn Francis

Speed Training

Unread postby wfpv » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:38 pm

My run seems to be the worst part of my vault. I'm a cross country runner and not a sprinter, so of course it makes sense. I was wondering if there were some things I could do to improve my speed. I have pretty good form (11 feet holding at 11 feet), and I feel like my lack of speed is holding me back. Thanks for the help!

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Re: Speed Training

Unread postby powerplant42 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:08 pm

If you are really serious about your run, it would pay off to take fall and do other kinds of running and training instead of cross country. Those distances over and over again can really mess with both your muscle type AND with your stride.

Some good leg plyometrics could help, as might deadlifts, but the best thing to work on speed is to do actual running. Try this: 20m anchor, 5 seconds maximum effort, 20m stride, 5 seconds max, slow down to a stop. 4-5 minutes of rest. Repeat 5 more times.
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

bel142
PV Pro
Expertise: Open Post Collegiate, Collegiate Coach, BS - Kinesiology, MEd - Advanced Level Coaching

Unread postby bel142 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:48 am

Obviously speed development is crucial to the vault, and is difficult to do on your own. It takes a great deal of energy to train at top speed so it can only really be done every 2x a week during the speed development stage of training. Here are a few speed development work outs that I use in specific times of the year.

(speed development)
All have a walk back recovery - we are training the ATP-CP system so we need about a 12-1 rest to work ratio

Dynamic warm up
Sprint tech
2 x 10m standing

2 x 20m, 30m, 40m, 50m (3 point start)
1 x 60m, 50m, 40m, 30m, 20m, 10m, 5m (3 point starts)

(speed development/Speed endurance
Dynamic warm up
sprint tech
(all at 3 point start)
2 x 20m, 30m, 40m, 50m
6 x 60m
1 x 50m, 40m, 30m, 20m

Speed endurance
Dynamic warm up
Hurdle mobility (develop hip flexor/extensor/postural strength)
6 x 150m @ 85-90% with 5-6 min rest

We can only do these work outs so often, so on vault/drill days there will be some degree of a conditioning effect from pole runs.

A pole run work out that i do..
Dynamic warm up
Straight pole role overs/Plant timing
Plant progression, 1/2/3 lefts/plant timing
7x7Lefts
8x8Lefts
9x9Lefts
(or what ever run length your are training)

hopefully that helps with an idea of speed training
-bel

wfpv
PV Beginner

Unread postby wfpv » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:12 pm

Thanks for the help! I'm trying to convince my parents I should quit cross country, but they're afraid I would get out of shape.

fishman4god
PV Pro
Expertise: 4 Time all american 3 college 1 masters,Current high school pole vault coach,current masters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.81 m
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby fishman4god » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:50 pm

I coach pole vaulters (for a high school) and the distance runners, and the cross country team in the fall. Although distance ie. cross country is not necesarily helpful to gain speed it is not detrimental as long as you include speed/strength work in your work-out sessions. Distance running does not develop speed but it does develop endurance, speed work does not build endurance but develops power/speed/strength. You will not lose any fast twitch muscle by running distance, that is determined by genetics alone. You also will not gain speed unless you train for speed. You can do both just include speed work/strength work in your schedule. When Cross country season is over focus more on the speed/strength aspect and the reverse during cross country. One last thought if you like cross country and pole vaulting do both they can complement each other if balanced! :D

wfpv
PV Beginner

Unread postby wfpv » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:33 pm

I quit cross country and I've got a work out plan for the fall. I do two a days on the swim team so endurance shouldn't be a problem during the season. Thanks for the help!

das_1971
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, bum
Lifetime Best: smthing lo
Favorite Vaulter: Don Pablo Espanol

Unread postby das_1971 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:00 am

I never reccomend for anybody to quit a sport or event, unless its detrimental, or (honestly, these are kids) they just plain hate it. But anyway...
That is awesome that you got a good offseason workout, that was something I would have loved, but most my offseason was bailing hay and computer programing (not related... not building speed...) Make sure that whatever you do, you keep at it, and try to stay consistant. Don't just go wild one week then take two off. Swimming is fantastic for the body too.
Another good thing when it comes time for season to start up, try to do as much of your speed work as you can OFF the runway. You don't want to try to worry about getting faster while running with a big stick. Instead, work your speed on the side, then bring that back to the vault. Think of it just like weight training. your not gonna try to jump in a weight vest right?
Ow

fishman4god
PV Pro
Expertise: 4 Time all american 3 college 1 masters,Current high school pole vault coach,current masters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.81 m
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby fishman4god » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:37 am

wfpv wrote:I quit cross country and I've got a work out plan for the fall. I do two a days on the swim team so endurance shouldn't be a problem during the season. Thanks for the help!

Sounds like you have a plan. Keep this in mind Bubka did most of his speed work with his pole (his coach Petrov, insisted). The result was that speed work with your pole makes you faster on the runway, and the science shows that you will becme faster without a pole as a result of pole carry speed work. Their is a thread somewhere that describes the above mentioned research........I will try to find it. Good luck in your training!

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”