osgood schlatters

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
twistpv
PV Beginner
Expertise: college vaulter
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

osgood schlatters

Unread postby twistpv » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:31 am

I have had a persistent case of osgood schlatters in both knees for about three yrs now. it has never prevented me from vaulting but i do feel like it holds me back. i have taken months off of training in the past to allow it to recover,but it doesnt seem to do any good. i ice it after every training session and keep it elevated when i can. also i have invested is some patella straps to help alleviate the pain ... does any one here have any exercises or remedies that could help with this injury?
(coach)Why did you run through?(me)Ummm.........cross wind?(coach)"Oh okay"

mcavarano
PV Beginner
Expertise: High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'6

Re: osgood schlatters

Unread postby mcavarano » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:42 pm

A few years ago I had a pretty bad case of this during basketball season that carried on through track and into the summer. When I went to rehab for it the trainer said it is sometime caused by ur quads being weaker which allows ur knee cap to slip down and rub in the joint. So he had me do a lot of excersises to strengthen them. Over time this helped and it went away. Now being a successful pole vaulter I imagine your legs are in good shape and you most likely train them plenty so this may be useless but it worked for so good luck

twistpv
PV Beginner
Expertise: college vaulter
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby twistpv » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:57 am

its worth a shot i'm willing to try just about anything at thus point
(coach)Why did you run through?(me)Ummm.........cross wind?(coach)"Oh okay"

fishman4god
PV Pro
Expertise: 4 Time all american 3 college 1 masters,Current high school pole vault coach,current masters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.81 m
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby fishman4god » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:00 am

I have had a few athletes with it and walking lunges before you jump and as a strengthening regimine could possibly help. Keep your back straight and push with the forward leg to full extension before the next step. A good number to start with is 10 each leg moving forward (total 20) 2 -3 sets to start and work up to around 15 each leg 3 sets. Allow your hips to sink so that your forward leg is bent at 90 degrees before pushing up and forward.

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”