Recovery After Conditioning Before Vaulting

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
kweaver45
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14' 9''
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Recovery After Conditioning Before Vaulting

Unread postby kweaver45 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:28 pm

So, monday through friday in the morning i run (typically no more than three miles) then right after i do sprint technique training, which consists of mostly light sprints or resistance sprints. Now, after this i have pole vault about one hour later and i wanted to know, what would be the best way to recover enough to have a good pole vault practice?

Im thinking ice baths and stretching may be the best. I also have a portable hammock that i may use?

i also lift in the afternoon 3 days a week

Does anyone have any ideas or recovery methods you use?

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Re: Recovery After Conditioning Before Vaulting

Unread postby VaultPurple » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:07 pm

If it is only one hour do not ice bath. Because you just have to warm right up again and wont have enough time and may risk getting hurt.

If this is the only way you have to practice and there are no other options, then after your sprint workout, do a light cool down. Stretch really good. Get a foam roller and roll out all the muscles (yes it works magic). Then prop your legs up in the air for like 15 minutes to let all the blood and lactic acid flow out that is pooling (laying on ground with them against a wall or on a landing mat works great). Then when before you vault just do enough warm up to get you feeling loose and ready to go.

HOWEVER. I strongly recommend finding a way in which you can do your speed training after you vault. That way your legs are fresher and you can have a more consistent runs. The morning jog is not horrible since it is summer, but going from 3 mile jog to technical work to speed work to pole vaulting, all at once is quite a load on your body and probably best if you can space it out better.

kweaver45
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14' 9''
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby kweaver45 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:40 pm

Thanks for your reply, ill definitely take your advice. Hopefully this situation is only temporary though

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:44 am

Suggest you DO NOT do a running session prior to a vault session. The latter should be the focus of your training for the day - and the neuromuscular demands of even 12 top quality jumps mean that you have to be absolutely ready - physically and mentally - for that session. A three mile run is the very last thing you should be considering BEFORE a vault session - in fact I suggest that you wait until you have retired and need to run to maintain your overall fitness levels, before doing making it part of your 'training.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”