Summer Training

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
PV2020
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Lázaro Borges

Summer Training

Unread postby PV2020 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:10 pm

Season is over and it is time for off season training. Here is my training routine for the summer. I would like to see what everyone thought, too much, too little, just right? Background information, Current squat max 450, current bench max 245.

Monday, Wednesday, Friday:

Warm Up:
5 minute jog, 15min stationary bike (Add 2.5min to jog and take 2.5 off of cycle every week)
20 forward lunges
20 backwards lunges
20 quad pulls
20 knee pulls
15 good mornings
15 body weight deep squats

3x20 alternating push ups and sit ups

Lifting:

Leg Press 3x15 90-lb each side (Increase weight each week, week 5 switch to 3x12, week 8 3x10, week 10 3x8, week 12 3x5, week 14 3x3 )

Dumbbell Bent Row 3x10 60-lb (increase weight 5lb every three weeks)

Alternating Single leg curls and Single leg extensions (3x30) (Starting 30 pounds, increase weight once curl becomes fairly easy to complete)

Lat Pull downs 3x10 (appropriate weight, not super light, but not straining)

Squat: 3x10 135-lb (Increase 20 pounds every 3 weeks)

Pull ups 3x10 (alternate with some kind of ab exercise) (add 1 pull up a week)

5 minute cool down on stationary bike.

Stretch, roll, STAY HEALTHY!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday

(if you ever have to combine a day, leave out the swim and just do what we did last summer for that day. But this way it is over more days but you should be in there a little less time).

Swimming pool:

Should stay in pool between 45min to 60min (increase yardage weekly until close to 2000 yards)

Start with like 6x25 with about 30 second rest
Then stop and stretch

4x50 with 30-60 second rest

Kick 50 (with kickboard)
Pull 50 (better if u can find some kind of belt or foam pad for legs)
x4

You can mix up kicks and pulls with free, breast, butter, back

50 free
50 breast
50 back

slow 50 cool down

Lifting after:

Dumbbell Bench: 3x15 with 55-lbs (3min between sets) (Try to increase weight 5 pounds a week, week 5 switch to 3x12, week 8 3x10, week 10 3x8, week 12 3x5, week 14 3x3)

Super set curls, over head press, and triceps extensions (increase weight every 3 weeks):

3 minutes between super sets.

3x10 alternating single arm dumbbell curls (35-lb)

3x10 single arm overhead press (35lb)

3x10 single arm triceps extensions (20 lb)

Bench Press: 3x10 155-lbs (2min max between sets) (goal to increase 10 pounds every three weeks)

Incline Bench Press 3x10 135-lbs (2min max between sets) (move weight up every three weeks, but still be able to finish reps)

Take about 5 minutes between exercises, could always thrown in some abs between exercises too.

Stretch, Roll, STAY HEALTHY!

altius
PV Rock Star

Re: Summer Training

Unread postby altius » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:18 pm

Are you going to become a shot-putter OR a swimmer??
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:37 pm

High bar... track... sand pit... runway....... then weight room or pool. Those should be probably be your off season priorities.
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

Andy_C
PV Pro

Unread postby Andy_C » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:16 am

altius wrote:Are you going to become a shot-putter OR a swimmer??

Sounds more like bodybuilding with the type of lifting he's doing!

PV2020,
The type of physical training you are doing is markedly out of sync with pole vault. In whatever type of training you do always think about what you're trying to achieve. For your physical training, understand that pole vault is a speed-power event and that the physical training you are doing must be targeted towards that goal. Lifting weights is important and very useful, provided you know very well what you are trying to achieve and are good at planning for it. Like anything else in training though, lifting can be counterproductive if done improperly (and any part of training - even vaulting - can be done improperly). Not only can you fail to make event/sport appropriate physical improvements, but keep in mind that it does take quite a bit of time. This time could be used for other things that will help you improve.

And on the topic of swimming, IMO swimming helps the most in active recovery (ie. on "rest" days) and also as a good axillary/secondary method of conditioning the shoulders. The amount to which you do it though (number of days + number of exercises/reps) takes it completely out of that realm. As mentioned, it looks like you're training for something completely different.

Your physical training should be relevant to your event. And in the pole vault we run, jump and swing!

But the most important thing and the thing I'll mention last... pole vaulting??? If this wasn't posted on a pole vault forum there was no way I could identify you as somebody with the intent of pole vaulting. Right now this summer program is a burger without the patty and as the old saying goes, "where's the beef?"

-Andrew
P.S. Kudos to you though for working hard. Take that same work ethic and give it more thought in the right direction, that can take you very far! But please, as it alludes to in my signature, don't let your hard work go to waste!
Hard work is wasted energy if you don't work wisely!

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:17 am

good morning,

just spent a day with the strength/speed and conditioning coach at an NFL team training session.

Number one issue???? Be fit

Be fit… period

Here is one "example" of testing an athlete for "fitness".

1.Once a week.. 6 x 40 yards/37m with 30/40 seconds between each rep.. best average.
2.Once a week .. 6 x pull up/chin ups… 30/40 seconds between each rep..best total number of reps….
3.Body weight to strength ratio…

Don't over train.. use the principal of "progressive overload"… rest and recovery are as much or more important than hard training and use the "SAID" principle and make your training very specific to the "technique" you aspire to have. (ie.. a hurdler should go over the whole hurdle and not waste time doing a lot of trail leg-lead leg drills)

Be fit… is first…

dj

PS.. i have said before .. the number one speed/fitness training exercise is running (sprinting) 20 bleacher steps... 3/4 sets x 6 times.. and pulling a sled, light weight, 3/4 sets of 6 times 40/50 meters.. once or twice a week...

tsorenson
PV Pro
Expertise: masters vaulter, former college vaulter, volunteer HS/club coach, fan, parent

Unread postby tsorenson » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:16 pm

I personally think the swimming is great, especially for a college athlete who probably vaults 3/4 of the year, and probably needs to recover injuries (while staying fit) during the summertime. If you can vault, that's great, but I wouldn't do it more than once a week. Every vaulter that jumps most of the year with a peak in the spring/summer should take a minimum of 4-6 weeks off with no vaulting so that the periodization can begin again in the fall.

The weight training is obviously something you are into, so don't give it up. I would add some of the drills you see in this video in order to get more specific training for the vault. Notice that many are done in the weight room and work strength and pole vault technique side-by-side, using the SAID principle. I really like the pole runs with a bungee or tire attached to the pole or vaulter, and the one with the bungee pulling forward on the takeoff foot (this trains an emphasis on getting the takeoff foot down and not out in front).

Also I didn't see much ab work in your regime. I like to do straight-arm downward rows on the lat-pull machine (you'll need something bracing your back). Alternatively you can lay flat on a bench, facing upward, with your feet braced, and raise/lower a barbell from above your head to above your face with straight arms (pretty sure they show this lift in the video also).
http://youtu.be/S-Eiij4QWFk

Good luck!

Tom

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”