Curious...Injuries

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
polevaulterhere
PV Newbie
Expertise: High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 6'6
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Yelena Isinbayeva

Curious...Injuries

Unread postby polevaulterhere » Tue May 08, 2012 10:00 pm

I'm just curious how many of you guys have been injured or are injured from vaulting. Right now I've got two stress fractures and people tell me that I'm crazy to still be vaulting. (Technically I shouldn't be hey who's gonna stop me, it's my senior year with three meets left.)

LHSpolevault
PV Master
Expertise: Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach, Club Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.00
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Re: Curious...Injuries

Unread postby LHSpolevault » Wed May 09, 2012 9:03 am

I've never had any serious injuries while vaulting... the worst was just a hamstring strain in my takeoff leg when I took a jump at practice last season. Nothing major. If you're getting stress fractures it could be a sign of inefficient running form, or overuse, incorrect shoes, etc...

fishman4god
PV Pro
Expertise: 4 Time all american 3 college 1 masters,Current high school pole vault coach,current masters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.81 m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Re: Curious...Injuries

Unread postby fishman4god » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:31 am

A couple bad injuries. One in college missed the pit 1979 from around 16'9". Lots of blood and torn ligament in my spine/neck....bad juju for sure long recovery and had a fierc case of the "yips" when I came back after about 6 months.. One large impact laceration due to pole breakage about 2 montha ago (22 stitches). Both were vaulter error and well lets just say could probably been avoided. Stress fractures happen (had them too from skateboarding). Let your body heal, do what your doc says and train safer. I am 54 and have been jumping since I was 11. Give up vaulting.....no way at least not for me. You will have to decide for yourself what is best for you. Best wishes and stay safe!

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”