Something in my upper thigh (groin maybe?)

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
DividebyZero
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 10'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jeff Norris

Something in my upper thigh (groin maybe?)

Unread postby DividebyZero » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:36 pm

Last week at the pv event, immediately afterwards I felt a slight pain in my gut, more to my left side every time I stepped. I also felt an arcing strain or somewhat of a pull on my left inner thigh, and that area hurt with every step - not immensely, but enough to bug me. I had to skip my hurdles event because it hurt me so badly when I tried practice running. I hate scratching.

Now, one week later, the pain is gone in my gut, but the thigh or groin (not sure of a diagnosis or anything) still comes back after I run or vault for awhile. After pv tomorrow, I have 110 and then 300 hurdles. I don't want to come across as a pansy trying to get out of my events to my coach, but if need be I will refrain from "manning up" and really exacerbate the injury. I just hate letting my coach down. Anyways, I stretch a lot and warm up well before any events, but this injury only seemed to hurt legitimately immediately after my pole vault event ended last week. It could be a strain, tear, or whatever, but I described it to my coach the day-of and he said it is just because I hadn't done pole vault since the previous year and it was hard on my body - I'll be fine in a few days.

Not sure about all this though..

Rhino
PV Pro

Re: Something in my upper thigh (groin maybe?)

Unread postby Rhino » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:00 am

No, I doubt that this will go away in a few days. This plagued me for 40 years. Make sure you keep your hips to the front while running, that is, maintain good posture. This might help. If it heals, strengthen the area. Stay off the hurdles for a while.

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”