Getting Motivated.

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
A_Sapp
PV Beginner
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11'0"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Brad Walker

Getting Motivated.

Unread postby A_Sapp » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:46 pm

Alright, so track season starts really soon, and I had told myself all last year that I would start a steady workout routine to keep in shape for the season. Well that's all I've done, is told myself. Conditioning starts at the end of January and I want to be ready by then, but I'm having a hard time getting motivated to actually go and do some workouts. I went and vaulted a few weeks ago at a club after a 10 month hiatus, and to be honest it felt horrible. I could barely get half way to vertical and my timing was all off. Ended up only jumping 10'0" (With the standards at 36") which was quite disappointing.

So how do you guys get yourself motivated to workout? What are some easy quick things that will help me get into shape over the next few weeks?

Many Thanks,
A_Sapp

KellyLovesPV
PV Newbie
Expertise: D1 College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 10'
Favorite Vaulter: yelena isinbayeva

Re: Getting Motivated.

Unread postby KellyLovesPV » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:54 am

I always start with some inspirational YouTube videos. Some of my favorites are: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A93D_twwgU and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jtxbk9NS ... re=related There are a ton out there so you just need to find some that really pump you up and make you want to work.
I also have a big mirror in my room that I write my goals on with an expo marker. When your goals are starting back at you every time you look in the mirror, you want to accomplish them that much more.
Lastly, and I always find this very helpful, find an accountability partner. Someone to hold you accountable for working out. Someone to get in your face when you're slacking off. It also give you someone to talk about your workouts with, bounce ideas off of and keep you motivated. If you don't know anyone to be your accountability partner you can PM me, I would love to help.
Good luck with your upcoming season! :)

A_Sapp
PV Beginner
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11'0"
Favorite Vaulter: Brad Walker

Re: Getting Motivated.

Unread postby A_Sapp » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:24 pm

Thanks! :)

I have a few friends that would probably like to start working out as well, so that will work. I also talked to my Wood-shop teacher today about building some workout equipment for the track team(Parallel Bars and things like that), so hopefully building those will motivate me to use them :P

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”