Shin Splint Prevention

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
Gracie.J
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 7'0"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Shin Splint Prevention

Unread postby Gracie.J » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:25 pm

So I got really bad shin splints last season--aka I could barely walk and was always icing during classes. I've been doing calf raises, toe taps, and stretching, but is there anything else I can do to prevent them? Whenever I sprint too much they come back. Thank you!

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Re: Shin Splint Prevention

Unread postby dj » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:26 am

Years ago I noticed basketball players didn't start to have shin splint problems… (hardwood floors-asphalt tracks????) until "tube" socks were no longer "kool".. this made me do some research

The pressure and warmth from the socks was helping… so I began to ware one or two pair of snug tube socks… very rarely did I have shin splints after that.. played full season of basketball in them and then continued with them to the track….

So one ware tube socks…

Next continue to stretch.. stand 4 feet from a wall.. hands on the wall.. bend your arms and move your body/chest toward the wall.. keep the feet/heel flat to the floor.. do this morning-noon-night.. for 15 minutes..

Next.. Dead Lift.. feet flat to the floor-be sure to "press" the heels to the floor.. moderately heavy weight at first and as technique increases, go to more weight.. remember keep the arms straight and let them "hand" the weight from the shoulders… complete the exercise like a squat to 90 degree thigh angle.. back straight.. shin/chest up… create.. the smallest angle possible between the toes and the shin. This is THE number one "test" of correct flexibility and function of the leg from the knee to the toe AND allows you the benefit of adding the most power.. in the right direction for speed.

Dj
oneapproachrun.com

Gracie.J
PV Newbie

Unread postby Gracie.J » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:18 pm

Thank you so much! I will definitely start that tomorrow morning.

A_Sapp
PV Beginner
Lifetime Best: 11'0"
Favorite Vaulter: Brad Walker

Unread postby A_Sapp » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:40 pm

dj wrote:Years ago I noticed basketball players didn't start to have shin splint problems… (hardwood floors-asphalt tracks????) until "tube" socks were no longer "kool".. this made me do some research

The pressure and warmth from the socks was helping… so I began to ware one or two pair of snug tube socks… very rarely did I have shin splints after that.. played full season of basketball in them and then continued with them to the track….

So one ware tube socks…

Next continue to stretch.. stand 4 feet from a wall.. hands on the wall.. bend your arms and move your body/chest toward the wall.. keep the feet/heel flat to the floor.. do this morning-noon-night.. for 15 minutes..

Next.. Dead Lift.. feet flat to the floor-be sure to "press" the heels to the floor.. moderately heavy weight at first and as technique increases, go to more weight.. remember keep the arms straight and let them "hand" the weight from the shoulders… complete the exercise like a squat to 90 degree thigh angle.. back straight.. shin/chest up… create.. the smallest angle possible between the toes and the shin. This is THE number one "test" of correct flexibility and function of the leg from the knee to the toe AND allows you the benefit of adding the most power.. in the right direction for speed.

Dj
oneapproachrun.com

Some very good advice right there. The tube sock thing will work. They also sell leg wrap things that prevent them. It keeps the muscle compressed so that the connective tissue in the shin doesn't become fatigued from the constant impact of running. I had them really bad last year as well and ended up wrapping my shins with Ace Wraps which allowed me to keep running even with shin splints.

Gracie.J
PV Newbie

Unread postby Gracie.J » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:55 pm

That's great! Does taping your shins help as much as compression socks, or should I just stick with the socks?

A_Sapp
PV Beginner
Lifetime Best: 11'0"
Favorite Vaulter: Brad Walker

Unread postby A_Sapp » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:01 am

Gracie.J wrote:That's great! Does taping your shins help as much as compression socks, or should I just stick with the socks?

I probably would do the same thing. The socks need to be tight though and fit snugly. Something like this would be ideal. -> http://www.footsmart.com/P-Endurance-Support-System-Calf-Compression-Sleeves-Pair-30649.aspx

It needs to apply firm yet not constricting pressure.

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”