Off-Season Cross-Training?

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
Ashton2495
PV Newbie
Expertise: High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11'9''
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Earl Bell

Off-Season Cross-Training?

Unread postby Ashton2495 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:37 pm

I was wondering what could I do in the off season to better myself in the vault in February? Currently I'm running cross-country so I'm physically in shape, any recommendations like maybe some exercises, drills, or a weight training. Thanks in advance

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Re: Off-Season Cross-Training?

Unread postby dj » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:47 am

good morning,

unless you can help your team as a CC runner.. drop it now/today..

train like a sprinter...

pull a sled.. SPRINT 20 steps in the stadium.. lift weights.. dead lift-hang clean.. improver your standing and vertical jumps...

dj

Coach J
PV Beginner
Expertise: Club Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby Coach J » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:29 pm

I agree with dj, drop the cross country. Running long distance does not transfer to pole vault.

Train like a pole vaulter, run jump ,run jump, run jump.

Ashton2495
PV Newbie
Expertise: High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11'9''
Favorite Vaulter: Earl Bell

Unread postby Ashton2495 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:54 pm

We'll as much as I'd like to dropping cross-country isn't much of an option for me, been running since 7th grade and I'm a junior now so I'm going to stick it out right now. I'm currently on a special workout schedule more geared toward track however, any recommendations as far as weight training goes?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:14 pm

If you're having fun doing cross country, you should do it. You might pole vault higher if you don't, but being a well-balanced person is important.

Andy_C
PV Pro

Unread postby Andy_C » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:41 am

Not sure exactly what your schedule is but for XC and the pole vault here's a brief overview about my thoughts:

XC is used a lot among coaches who are influenced by or are from the former Eastern Bloc countries. It's role is in the early season preparation, really as kind of a "kick start" to the season. But then it is only ever limited to that role. As mentioned, XC during the bulk of the pole vault season will not give you the kind of conditioning you are looking for. In the earliest part of the season it will definitely help you move out of off-season mode and is one of the activities that can give you a good base endurance level to work from. Most importantly IMO, it gives very good conditioning to the lower joints which will help you out for the entire season and continuous development as you mature.

So, it is good if you want to use it in the very early season - provided that you have a good strength and conditioning program following that. But doing XC during the course of your pole vault season is counter productive.

If you ask me, it's all about how much time you have. I would recommend doing XC if you train 9+ months a year in pole vault. Depending on how much XC you do during a week of training you would probably do it for maybe a month (your first month back into training from the off-season). Any more than that and you would not really be benefiting much in terms of pole vault and you would be wasting a lot of time not pole vaulting! Vaulting technique should always take the priority to everything. I think of XC as more of a luxury in training rather than an absolute essential. There are other things you can do in the beginning of your season that can give you those "XC benefits" without taking up huge amounts of time while also improving pole vault technique.

With regards to dropping or keeping it; as rainbowgirl mentioned, if you really like it then you shouldn't give it up. However it is likely that there will come a time in your life that you're going to have to pick between the two if you want to be very serious at one or the other. Have fun with what you're doing now but just keep that thought in the back of your mind for the future so you are ready to make the decision when you have to. You'll come to a better decision when you have time to think about it. And also you can be happy with yourself that you were able to do two things that you really enjoyed instead of just one!

-Andrew
Hard work is wasted energy if you don't work wisely!

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”