Swinging Bubka's

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
bb12334
PV Wannabe
Expertise: High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 12
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka, Renaud Lavillenie

Swinging Bubka's

Unread postby bb12334 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:04 pm

I am realtively new to pole vaulting... 2 seasons so far. I have only done swinging bubkas twice and there was nobody watching me for form. I video taped myself and noticed that I pulled with my arms as I swung up to muscle my way up. I had trouble kicking forward with force and my legs just felt weak as I was swinging. When I look at videos of people doing swing drills their arms stay straight throughout the drill. I was using hammer pull up bars instead of an actual high bar because i do not have access to one. I feel like I am teaching myself bad habits when I do this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6KjvH5ktug I look similair to the person in this video in the fact that I have trouble getting up past that stage of the swing. My abs strength is not the greatest so that may be part of it. Is there any way I can modify a drill so that it would be easier so that I could do it with proper form?

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Re: Swinging Bubka's

Unread postby powerplant42 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:17 pm

This is mainly a strength drill, so just do the next lowest progression, which would probably be just picking your feet up to the bar from a dead hang.
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”