Shoulder/Back Injury

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
bb12334
PV Wannabe
Expertise: High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 12
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka, Renaud Lavillenie

Shoulder/Back Injury

Unread postby bb12334 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:47 pm

So this is my first season vaulting. Right now I can clear 11' pretty comfortably and have the basics of my technique down. The problem is I am having a lot of problems with injuries. At my last meet, after taking my first warm up jump, all the way from the top part of my arm and shoulder, all the way through my shoulder bade. I kind of ignored it and just kept jumping but after I got home, I could barely move it. Extending my arm straight up, or if I put my arm in the position you would to flex your bicep and then try and move my arm back, it hurts like crazy. I have looked up shoulder pain and found of something called "shoulder shock". Does anyone have any idea what this is or any way to help me get better. Just another not, I have felt pain in my shoulder blade and shoulders for a couple of weeks but have just taken painkillers to cover it up, but it has reached a point where it is inhibiting basic movement.

davbrwn
PV Newbie
Expertise: Fan

Re: Shoulder/Back Injury

Unread postby davbrwn » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:44 pm

you shpould consult your doctor first of all. that doesn't look like fun. if you neglect it now you may have serious problems with your arm later

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:26 pm

Sounds like you really need more than message board... I've tried the whole internet doctor thing for years... typically not a good plan. See an orthopaedist ASAP!
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

efalbo
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'3"
Favorite Vaulter: Derek Miles

Unread postby efalbo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:18 pm

Even though this post is old, I am glad to help someone in the future with this problem. Long story short, this is inflammation in your upper back and shoulder. Personally this came from poor posture and years of vaulting. Try to get heat on it (if possible), massage it, and stretch it before jumping. On the side, talk to a trainer and try to learn some exercises to gain better posture and strengthen your upper back/shoulders. Don't forget to try to keep a balance and stretch/massage out the other shoulder every once in a while.

efalbo
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'3"
Favorite Vaulter: Derek Miles

Unread postby efalbo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:35 pm

Adding on to my last post, it sounds like you are on your way to having shoulder impingement syndrome. Many links around the internet about it. It's also called Swimmer's or Thrower's Shoulder. It is a passive recovery, but after it starts to feel better, work into rehab.

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”