Training with pain

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
andy94566
PV Whiz
Expertise: current high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'8"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Walker, Johnson, Miles

Training with pain

Unread postby andy94566 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:12 pm

So I've been having low back pain for a while and it seems I'm going to have to take another 1-2 weeks off. I've been doing a core workout given to me in a different thread and I'm continuing to do that. But I was wondering what would be beneficial for me to do while my team is actually jumping? I've been doing walking plants and 1 step jumps at the sand pit. Anything else I can do? Thanks

tsorenson
PV Pro
Expertise: masters vaulter, former college vaulter, volunteer HS/club coach, fan, parent

Re: Training with pain

Unread postby tsorenson » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:02 am

***If you have an injury don't do any of this without talking to your doctor. If you have pain, don't train. However, once the pain subsides and you get cleared:

Not sure if the other thread included planks (front, back, side), but I find they help my back a lot. I usually combine them with some other yoga type positions, controlling breathing and holding for as long as possible, then go to another position (Planks, up dog, down dog, yoga pushup, warrior, etc, start over and go through it again, etc.) No need for incense or nonsense, just breathe and try it, it works. The following website may help you get started
http://yogasite.com/postures

If you can do it without any pain, rock climbing or bouldering helps too. Hanging from my hands and twisting my hips around helps alleviate the compression from vaulting, and all the supporting muscle groups get strong with lean muscle (no added bulk). However, falling can add more compression and hurt the lower back more, so keep that in mind.

Oh yeah, and don't take off under.

Good luck,
Tom

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:17 am

Go see a doctor.

andy94566
PV Whiz
Expertise: current high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Walker, Johnson, Miles

Unread postby andy94566 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:18 am

Yeah, I've been doing Yoga by myself lately and I add alot of plank type work after regular practice is over. And I'm going to go see a doctor Wednesday to see what's up. Thanks

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”