Anyone got a pre-season lifting workout??

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
joebro391
PV Follower
Expertise: Current College Vaulter (Samford University)
Lifetime Best: 15'6
Favorite Vaulter: Duplantis, Borges, Bubka

Anyone got a pre-season lifting workout??

Unread postby joebro391 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:56 pm

As most of you know, my health has been a pretty shaky thing this past year. Unfortuntately the pain never really went away, so it looks as though I'm re-injured or possibly the injury never healed the first time :( . There's still not a clear ruling, and at the moment, all we know is that it's not sports-hernia; AND I have one ortho saying there's a pelvic stress fracture and another saying there isn't...perhaps Bubba provided the answer and a sinlge cortizone injection will cure me, but for the time being, i'm just hitting the weights as hard as I can (because the only time I don't experience pain is right after a solid lifting session).

MY QUESTION...is what's a good lifting program for a vaulter?? If by the grace of god, this isn't a fracture and I can be vaulting again by June, I plan to spend the next 2 months lifting to help build some mass (just cause they call me 6P doesn't mean I weigh anymore than 130lbs haha). I'll first list some of my maxes, then my current program and finally my future plans.

@ 130lbs:
BENCH - 195lbs Feb/2011
SQUAT - 260lbs Dec/2009
CLEAN - 165lbs Dec/2009
Pull-Up's - 28 Dec/2009
Dip's - 52
(I don't max often, so that's what I have to build a reference)

Now, I really lost my speed (the little speed I had) since my injury, so before I get the OK to start doing running/sprint workouts again, I'm trying to build up my bases as well as I can.

MONDAY:
- 3x8 cleans (115lbs)
- 3x10 dead-lifts (165lbs)
- 3x10 weighted-pull-up's (15lbs)
- 3x15 weighted dip's (25lbs)
- 3x8 back squats (185lbs)
- 3x10 shoulder press (105lbs)

WEDNESDAY:
- 3x10 1-legged squats (115lbs-125lbs)
- 3x12 skull crushers (65lbs)
- 3x8 1-legged snatch's (30lbs - 35lbs)
- 3x5 muscle-up's
- 3x15 heal-raises (100lbs)
- 3x10 clean-pulls (135lbs)
- 3x8 jerks (115lbs)
- 3x12/10/8 Bench (145/155/165)

FRIDAY:
- 3x8 cleans (115lbs)
- 3x10 dead-lifts (165lbs)
- 3x10 weighted-pull-up's (15lbs)
- 3x15 weighted dip's (25lbs)
- 3x8 back squats (185lbs)
- 3x10 Barbell Bench (60lbs/arm)

I plan to raise all these weights, between 5 and 10lbs, every other session or so

I'm sure there's some better things I can be doing, but it's what I got so far. Sugguestions are extrememly welcome, especially since this sport is so specialized. As I get closer to hopefully being able to sprint and vault, I will focus more on the explosive lifts and start working plyo's into my non-lifting days (but this is at least 3 - 4 weeks down to road). Now for all I know, the doctor could tell me next friday that all this needs to stop, but in the meantime, this is the plan i'm going with. Thanks guys! -6P
Last edited by joebro391 on Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PR: 15'6 !!PETROV/6.40 MODEL!! http://www.youtube.com/user/joebro391

Polevaulter2012
PV Whiz
Expertise: Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.90m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Maksim tarasov

Re: Anyone got a pre-season lifting workout??

Unread postby Polevaulter2012 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:09 pm

Hey so here is what I do. http://scottelliottachievingmydreams.blogspot.com/ I have found it to work really well for me. I am really just focusing on good technique while adding weight right now. I cant vault right now either, so I am just going to push myself really hard in my workouts and I will start sprint workouts next week I hope. We will see what I have going on. In my opinion You shouldnt focus on size. I think you should just get as strong as possible and try and stay light. Vaulters dont need size. I was 185 last year and then was 173 for vault season. This year I have not went above 165. I have not been focusing on going up weight but trying to lift weight properly and explosive. I am no where near my maxes right now but I am still getting way stronger. You just have to find what works for you. Hope you get healed up soon. Not vaulting sucks!!

joebro391
PV Follower
Expertise: Current College Vaulter (Samford University)
Lifetime Best: 15'6
Favorite Vaulter: Duplantis, Borges, Bubka

Unread postby joebro391 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:19 pm

ouch man, that workout sounds painful haha. And yea, maybe "mass" was a poor choice or words, I mean, my genetics must be weird cause like, it doesn't matter how big or strong I get, I always hold a weight between 130 and 135 haha. -6P
PR: 15'6 !!PETROV/6.40 MODEL!! http://www.youtube.com/user/joebro391

dnike13
PV Wannabe

Unread postby dnike13 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:10 am

Joebro,
Key thing is to make sure that you are healthy enough to doing any heavy lifting. Sometimes, lifting can make the injury worse, weather it be muscular or skeletal. With that being said, if you are healthy, then the 3 day a week plan you have should work just fine. When my guys (and gals) are coming off of injury, I don't like them going big on the weights. A big thing a lot of people forget that you may feel strong, but you body needs to re adapt itself to lifting heavy weights. Once you get going and back into shape you'll see that your not as weak as you think you are, assuming that you were lifting in the first place. I also advice you not to skip running, light distance running to build up your endurance and then sprinting. Hope this helps and good luck with the injury.

Polevaulter2012
PV Whiz
Expertise: Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.90m
Favorite Vaulter: Maksim tarasov

Unread postby Polevaulter2012 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:37 am

Haha yeah it seems to be working really well for me. I train smart though. I listen to my body and dont push it past its limit. Just mess around with your workout plan and you will find something that will work great! Good luck and hope you heal fast man! :yes:

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”