ghetto style training suggestions

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
Thats.What.She.Said
PV Follower
Lifetime Best: 11'
Favorite Vaulter: Darren Niedermeyer :D

ghetto style training suggestions

Unread postby Thats.What.She.Said » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:12 am

Haha okay so maybe not "ghetto" but I need suggestions of what I can do between seasons with next to no available resources.
I'm coming up on my last week of indoor track, and outdoor doesn't start until the 21st of march so I have just over a month off. I'd really like to keep doing something so that I don't lose what little I gained this winter. My issue, however, is that due to all the snow that we have gotten in the last 3 weeks, there is no chance I can run on my track, and I will have very limited access to the weight "room."
So yeah....what are some creative ways I can keep training between indoor and outdoor?
Lefties are cooler
I ♥ Darren Niedermeyer...NOT love
Put the pole in the hole and EXPLODE

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Re: ghetto style training suggestions

Unread postby VaultPurple » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:47 am

I used to practice my pole drop with a shower curtain rod in my room at night.. any short pole like thing would work. You can turn anything into a pull up bar. And running sprints in deep snow can actually be really helpful because you have to really get your knees up to get your feet out of the snow (just try not to slip).

Thats.What.She.Said
PV Follower
Lifetime Best: 11'
Favorite Vaulter: Darren Niedermeyer :D

Re: ghetto style training suggestions

Unread postby Thats.What.She.Said » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:10 pm

ahh good call haha I have most of a 15 (I think) foot broken pole that I can do pole drops with.
haha running in the snow hasn't worked very well though. On my last snow day, I got bored of being stuck inside so I went out and played in the snow. When I tried to run, I made it a whole like 2 steps before falling and then almost getting stuck in the snow. Maybe if it stays warm a little longer, the snow will be below my knees, then I'll run in it, since that's rather fun haha.
Lefties are cooler
I ♥ Darren Niedermeyer...NOT love
Put the pole in the hole and EXPLODE

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”