Training Journals

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
Mcsteezypv
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Dean Starkey

Training Journals

Unread postby Mcsteezypv » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:07 pm

Hey guys its my second year of vaulting and i figured i should begin a training journal/log. I got no clue what to write into it?
Any suggestions or things i put in that worked for you?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Training Journals

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:14 am

I never wrote down my training off the runway, but for vault practice I recorded:
Bar clearance
Bar or bungee attempted
Pole
Grip height
Start mark
Check mark (if used)
Mid mark
Notes (any comments to myself)

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:34 pm

For me it's anything from, "Rest." to a full description of what I did that day... ex. "I felt X starting out today with Y drills, but after a while doing those Z was getting a lot better... Looking ahead, blah blah blah. My take-off needs a lot of work in that I never am able to blah blah blah or this and that. I have a meet coming up on Tuesday, so this weekend I should practice whatever and do some of these lifts and stretches." Then maybe it'll be followed by some mental analysis or something like that or some plans for the upcoming month or whatever. It's a good place to vent and write down goals too. For meets, just document everything. Make it personal so you can go back later and follow your mindset all the way until where you are currently. It's definitely a great thing to do. Also document any and all sorts of injuries as well as you can: what you hurt and how you hurt it, when it hurts, what quality of pain, what doctors are saying, etc.
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

GreenVaulter
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15'9
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby GreenVaulter » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:10 pm

I Have only been writing in my journal after vault days for the past few years. It would maybe be a good idea to start commenting on workouts as well. But as far as what to write in your journal... Like already said, it is a great place to vent. It it good to write down what drills or cues (ways of thinking how do to something) work for you. Just keeping track of what you want to fix, and what has worked to help fix it, lets you pick up where you left off the next time you come to vault. Also keeping track of stats like poles you were on that day, steps, takeoff, standards, and bar height are helpful for the next time around. I like to write goals and random thoughts i get to keep myself progressing. But really just write what comes to mind and you will get to know what is important to you. This is a great tool, it has helped me a ton...
Goodluck
If You Want Something You've Never Had, You've Got To Do Something You've Never Done Before.

cdmilton
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 16-0(4.88)

Unread postby cdmilton » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:18 pm

Try this...

http://www.flightdeckathletics.com/temp/athletelog.xls

I have people print off a bunch of copies and make their own book.
Chris Milton

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”