Most Important Muscles

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
sduvinage
PV Wannabe
Expertise: High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 3.97
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Re: Most Important Muscles

Unread postby sduvinage » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:28 pm

kyle ellis-
By do pc system do you mean taking creatine supplements.
Creatine actually will make you gain significant weight, but i am not sure if the benefits of power exceeds the weight gained.
Could anyone provide more info?

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:10 pm

sduvinage wrote:kyle ellis-
By do pc system do you mean taking creatine supplements.
Creatine actually will make you gain significant weight, but i am not sure if the benefits of power exceeds the weight gained.
Could anyone provide more info?

No I don't mean taking creatine; creatine occurs naturally in foods such as meat. As someone who has experimented with creatine I will say that it does work and you can make some significant gains while on it, but I will agree with you that it is not worth its weight literally. Most people I talk to gain anywhere from 5-10lbs of water weight while being on the stuff.

What I meant when I said training the PC system is doing workouts that incorporate the PC energy system which is anything involving short powerful bursts of energy such as Olympic lifts, sprints, plyo's etc.
There are three energy systems that the body uses PC (3-5 seconds) uses PC stored in the muscles, glycolitic /anaerobic (90-120 seconds), and beta oxidative / aerobic usually 5+minutes becomes the predominant energy system.
On a whole new level 6-20-09

Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Unread postby Lax PV » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:52 am

KYLE ELLIS wrote:Elastic strength or Plyometric strength- Probably the most underated training focus in pole vaulting. Go mark out two cones 25meters apart and get a rolling start, see how fast you can bound over 25meters. If you can go under 4 seconds you are above avaerage.

Curious where you got that metric from? I tried it out, and I am no where near 4 seconds...not that I am a gifted 'bounder' by any stretch, but 4 seconds is fast enough where I would not say 'above average' but pretty elite...

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:37 am

Lax PV wrote:
KYLE ELLIS wrote:Elastic strength or Plyometric strength- Probably the most underated training focus in pole vaulting. Go mark out two cones 25meters apart and get a rolling start, see how fast you can bound over 25meters. If you can go under 4 seconds you are above avaerage.

Curious where you got that metric from? I tried it out, and I am no where near 4 seconds...not that I am a gifted 'bounder' by any stretch, but 4 seconds is fast enough where I would not say 'above average' but pretty elite...

On our track team here we had 5 kids under 4seconds, the fastest being around 3.70... We have a coach here that is a 27ft long jumper, I think he can go like 3.2-3.3... According to the chart around 3.0 is considered ELITE elite....

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:50 pm

Out of curiosity, what is the average length of the strides of the bounders when you tested them. Said another way, how many foot touchdowns in that 25 meters?

- master

Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified

Unread postby Lax PV » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:48 pm

master wrote:Out of curiosity, what is the average length of the strides of the bounders when you tested them. Said another way, how many foot touchdowns in that 25 meters?

- master

When I tried it, I think I had 9 total touches, I came across in ~5.1sec. I suppose I have a long way to go...

master
PV Lover

Unread postby master » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:24 pm

Lax PV wrote:When I tried it, I think I had 9 total touches, I came across in ~5.1sec. I suppose I have a long way to go...

Just thinking out loud here... that's about a 9' stride. Maybe you have about a 6' stride when running on the runway. I wondered if someone wanted to reduce the time it takes to bound the 25m, would they tend to try for longer strides (maximizing bounding) or shorter strides (move closer to running)? I know the object isn't to minimize time by 'manipulation', but it wouldn't surprise me if kids tried to do that. :eek:

- master

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:43 pm

Think of it as running on one leg, you want to maximize stride length without sacrificing ground contact time. If you try and take to long of a bound/ stride you will collapse and you coupling phase will be increased dramatically. If you take too short of a bound, you won't cover much ground. This 25meter hop tests elastic leg strength. So you are still trying to maximize stride length without collapsing on your steps.

master
PV Lover

Unread postby master » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:08 pm

Sounds good to me. Now, if only my 63 year old legs will cooperate. ;)

-master

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:17 pm

master wrote:Sounds good to me. Now, if only my 63 year old legs will cooperate. ;)

-master

Be very careful, that test is quite hard on the legs.

Lax PV
PV Follower

Unread postby Lax PV » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:44 pm

I am going to time my bounding workouts for the next couple of weeks, just to get an idea. When I tried this one, I felt like I wasn't bounding as much in height as I normally do. Sadly, I think that is going to make my time even longer, but I really like it as a metric of elastic strength/plyometric ability. Anyone else wanna give it a try and let us know what your times/no. of strides were??

The stride length is about right for the runway--I think I move about 12'6" or so per left on the runway.

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:55 pm

Lax PV wrote:I am going to time my bounding workouts for the next couple of weeks, just to get an idea. When I tried this one, I felt like I wasn't bounding as much in height as I normally do. Sadly, I think that is going to make my time even longer, but I really like it as a metric of elastic strength/plyometric ability. Anyone else wanna give it a try and let us know what your times/no. of strides were??

The stride length is about right for the runway--I think I move about 12'6" or so per left on the runway.

What I have found is that you need to stay somewhat low on your first one, your basically trying to maintain your speed from your 5-10meter jog start...

Check out this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEwPLwT6Tv0

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”