Most Important Muscles

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Re: Most Important Muscles

Unread postby Lax PV » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:21 pm

Since we are on the topic--I am curious how many steps it takes the guys that are doing it in 4sec and less, what surface are they one etc.

Normally, I do plyos on a rather soft surface. While it is not going to recoil like a hard surface would, I think the trade off on the lack of pounding is worth it...what do you think?

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:02 pm

Lax PV wrote:Since we are on the topic--I am curious how many steps it takes the guys that are doing it in 4sec and less, what surface are they one etc.

Normally, I do plyos on a rather soft surface. While it is not going to recoil like a hard surface would, I think the trade off on the lack of pounding is worth it...what do you think?

Not sure about the steps, I will video tape it next time we do it. We did it on a fast track surface in training shoes. I didn't suggest this as a training device, I just recommended you try it as a test simular to vertical jump, slj, backwards shot etc...
On a whole new level 6-20-09

Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Unread postby Lax PV » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:24 pm

KYLE ELLIS wrote:
Lax PV wrote:Since we are on the topic--I am curious how many steps it takes the guys that are doing it in 4sec and less, what surface are they one etc.

Not sure about the steps, I will video tape it next time we do it. We did it on a fast track surface in training shoes. I didn't suggest this as a training device, I just recommended you try it as a test simular to vertical jump, slj, backwards shot etc...

Yeah--I understand using it as a metric...just curious on the test parameters to compare apples to apples..

Run2Niels
PV Fan
Expertise: Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Sergey Bubka

Unread postby Run2Niels » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:00 pm

muscles used during running from most important to less important:
-hamstrings
-calfs
-quadriceps
-hip flexors
-abdominals
-glutes
-erector spinae (back muscles)
-arm/shoulder complex (for keeping form while carrying the pole)
You can train these best succesively with weighttraining (max strength, no hypertrophy), plyometrics and (of course) running on high speed.

During planting and take-off you use the mostly the same muscles, only with a higher intensity. And maybe the arm/ shoulder muscles need to work a bit harder because of the planting action (though technique training for the planting action will be sufficient training).

During the swing/inversion it is just as Kirk says...all abs and ofcourse the hip flexors. And Agapit would say the triceps of the lower arm instead of the pectoralis of the upper arm. Still don't know why and how (and no one else knows too) and I don'think it's of major impact for your training.
You can train the hip flexors and the abs combined in ab exercises. When there is sufficient strength, it's better to work these muscles on highbars. It definitely worked great for my athletes, after great advice from Kirk a few months a go. You can find highbar exercises everywhere on this board.

And please, be careful with the plyometric/elastic strength exercises. First, build a good base with max strength training with weights and low intensity plyometric exercises.

jschools
PV Newbie
Expertise: High School Coach/Dad
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Stacy Dragilia

Unread postby jschools » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:26 pm

A few post back some one mentioned Abs and then someone mention Core. I believe that this area is the most important muscles! When I mean core, I mean everything from the above the knees to the arm pits! Front, back, and side. Of this, the Hips are the most important for generating power! Focusing on Hip Flexiors, IT Band, and Hamstrings are key. I have all my Track athletes do Myrtl workout to help strengthen these areas. This workout does not look difficult, but it really works muscles that you are not use to working

Myrtl
Clams
Lateral Leg Raises (Neutral, Toe Up, Toe Down)
Fire Hydrants
Hip Circles forward
Hip Circles reverse
Donkey Kicks
Donkey Whips
Lateral Leg Swings
Linear Leg Swings
Trail Leg Forward
Trail Leg Reverse
Bent Leg Swings

http://www.runnerspace.com/profile.php? ... et=2#video

jschools
PV Newbie
Expertise: High School Coach/Dad
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Stacy Dragilia

Unread postby jschools » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:28 am

Here is video of Steve Hooker's Weight workout: http://www.flotrack.org/videos/coverage ... er-workout

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:50 pm

Realize firstly that he's THE vaulter right now... Not many people on here are jumping 6... And also realize that that is ONE workout specifically designed for ONE point in ONE training cycle. :yes:
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”