Rope Vaulting - Yay or Nay?

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
IAmTheWalrus
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current College Coach, Aspiring to be Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.06m

Re: Rope Vaulting - Yay or Nay?

Unread postby IAmTheWalrus » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:54 pm

I've always enjoyed rope vaulting and thought that it was useful in learning to use a long trail-leg swing to get inverted. I remember the first time I tried it I was awful, and kept trying to pick me feet up to my hands as I was swinging... did not work at all. After watching my coach do it for a while I realized that if I started with my trail leg forward, then extended it back after I jumped off, i could accelerate it forward much faster than the rope was swinging, and get inverted. (I later learned utilizing about the stretch-reflex afterwards). It didn't immediately help my vaulting, but I think later down the road when a few other things clicked for me I saw benefits from it, but there's no way to prove that its because of rope vaulting.

Also, while the videos show two legged swingers, I've seen Matt Scheffler rope vault, and he uses a one legged swing. (He could also get about 3 ft higher than me on the rope vault, he created a lot of momentum with his swing.)
-Nick

Capt Caveman
PV Fan
Expertise: Coach, Masters Vaulter, Parent
Lifetime Best: 5.05
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Scott Huffman

Unread postby Capt Caveman » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:40 am

Looking at the video posted on another topic recently is rope vaulting/drills similar to ring drills? Reading through all the pros/cons/arguments in this thread and looking at the similarities between a rope and rings do they fall into the same catagory? Would everyones opinions about the rope not also be true of rings?

Maybe this is a new topic but they seem so similar I thought I would start here.
Those who know WHY will always be victorious over those who only know HOW.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:38 pm

Capt Caveman wrote: ... Would everyones opinions about the rope not also be true of rings? ...

I don't think they're very close. With rings, the apparatus doesn't SWING, and you don't try to clear a bungee.

There's also no danger in doing rings ... as long as you hold on.

Even if you were to compare the swing of your body on rings to the swing of your body in rope vaulting, I don't think they're very similar.

Altho I've never personally tried rope vaulting (over any serious bars), I've done enough SWINGING on a rope (but not letting go) to have a feel for what it's like ...

I still think that the rings and highbar give you a better simulation of a vault ... in the bottom half of the swing ... with less risk of injury. For vaulters of most abilities, I don't think it's time-effective for the top half of the swing to be purposely trained [much].

I would recommend rope vaulting only as a supplement to rings and highbar ... definitely not in place of them ... provided all safety precautions have been taken ... and provided that the vaulters NEED to get the feel that rope vaulting gives you ... as opposed to just goofing off.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

IAmTheWalrus
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current College Coach, Aspiring to be Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.06m

Unread postby IAmTheWalrus » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:45 pm

To add to my previous post, I think rope vaulting is more of a "proof-of-concept drill" for the energy input with the swing. Many young vaulters try to pick their feet up or tuck into a ball to clear a bar, but trying that on the rope is ineffective. The vaulter is forced to develop some semblance of a fast, long trail leg swing to rope vault successfully. I wouldn't classify it as a drill, because you are really isolating one component of the vault and working on it, and once you can do it well, I don't think continued practice helps that much. It is very fun though (when done safely).
-Nick

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:29 am

IAmTheWalrus wrote: ... The vaulter is forced to develop some semblance of a fast, long trail leg swing to rope vault successfully. ...

Wally, that's a good point that I hadn't thought of.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

joebro391
PV Follower
Expertise: Current College Vaulter (Samford University)
Lifetime Best: 15'6
Favorite Vaulter: Duplantis, Borges, Bubka

Unread postby joebro391 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:46 pm

IAmTheWalrus wrote:To add to my previous post, I think rope vaulting is more of a "proof-of-concept drill" for the energy input with the swing. Many young vaulters try to pick their feet up or tuck into a ball to clear a bar, but trying that on the rope is ineffective. The vaulter is forced to develop some semblance of a fast, long trail leg swing to rope vault successfully. I wouldn't classify it as a drill, because you are really isolating one component of the vault and working on it, and once you can do it well, I don't think continued practice helps that much. It is very fun though (when done safely).

idk, i think if you do it enough, REPETITION, REPETITION, REPETITION, you'll develop some positive muscle memory that'll help in the vault. -6P
PR: 15'6 !!PETROV/6.40 MODEL!! http://www.youtube.com/user/joebro391

pv161
PV Nerd
Expertise: high school/club coach, masters vaulter, former college vaulter, usatf official
Lifetime Best: 4.91

Unread postby pv161 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:10 am

I found the video of Bubka rope vaulting. It's posted on our website in the video section. he seems to be standing on raised platform of some kind since he has some forward swing, then climbs the rope and swings to a tuck and shoot over the bar. click on the link below

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:56 am

I would suggest that what is shown here is completely different drill from the rope vaulting drills being defended by some on this site. The size of the pad he is landing on is one give away but another is that there is virtually no swing. A good exercise = especially if you favour agapit's 6.40 model.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:15 pm

pv161 wrote: ...I found the video of Bubka rope vaulting. ... he ... climbs the rope and swings to a tuck and shoot over the bar. ...

I wouldn't call this a "tuck and shoot" at all. On the contrary, it's one continuous SWINGING motion ... as Altius alludes to.

It simulates a STIFF pole vault (notice the narrow grip) much more than the "rope vaulting" demonstrated and discussed so far in this thread ... and for that reason, I really like this drill ... a LOT.

An aspiring HS vaulter should not expect to execute this drill as easily as Bubka. You must keep in mind that Bubka could stiff vault quite high ... I forget how high ... but if he lived in the bamboo or steel pole era then he'd still be an elite vaulter ... perhaps in the 15-16 foot range. He makes it look easy!

You'll have to work your way up to the fine form that Bubka demonstrates. It requires a LOT of coordination and strength. All your other gymnastics and weight training are needed to get to Bubka's level in this drill ... you can't expect to master this drill in your first day ... or even first year ... of trying it.

Doing this drill will improve your stiff pole vaulting PR ... and stiff pole vaulting will improve your PR in this drill. Both will improve your flex pole vaulting PR. :yes:

Kirk

Capt Caveman
PV Fan
Expertise: Coach, Masters Vaulter, Parent
Lifetime Best: 5.05
Favorite Vaulter: Scott Huffman

Unread postby Capt Caveman » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:35 am

I have watched that video a dozen times now and comparing it to the other rope vaulting videos I dont understand how it is not rope vaulting. It is also very clear that mid swing he is in a tuck position. Am I watching the wrong video, is there more than one Bubka video on there?
Those who know WHY will always be victorious over those who only know HOW.

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:33 pm

Capt Caveman wrote: ... comparing it to the other rope vaulting videos I dont understand how it is not rope vaulting. It is also very clear that mid swing he is in a tuck position. ...

Caveman, take a closer look. This is a QuickTime video, so you can step thru it a frame at a time ... forwards and backwards ... by tapping your left-arrow and right-arrow keys.

Yes, this is rope vaulting ... since he uses a rope to clear a bar. But the emphasis is not on the "shoot" or "extension" part of the vault as per rope vaulting with a much longer rope over a much higher bar. Instead, the emphasis is on getting a good DOWNSWING and then continuing that downswing into an UPSWING which in turn gives you the momentum to continue extending up and over the bar ... all in a CONTINUOUS MOTION ... without PAUSING in a tuck.

Yes, there is one frame which you might call a "tuck". ONE FRAME. The fact that he doesn't PAUSE in the tuck is why I don't call it a tuck. To me, a tuck is when you hold that position for several frames.

In fact, he would not clear that bar if he paused in that tuck. This is why I like this drill so much ... it promotes THE CONTINUOUS CHAIN ... which is exactly what you must do in stiff pole vaulting ... AND in flex pole vaulting.

At first glance, it may look like he's just using his muscles to get upside down ... but if you look closer, you'll see that he's actually SWINGING upside down.

You may not have noticed (it's barely noticeable) but Bubka actually bends his legs at the knees before he starts his downswing. This propels him substantially faster than if he didn't do that. Try this drill with and without a quick and powerful downswing, and you'll see what I mean.

In summary, this SHORT rope vaulting drill emphasizes the BOTTOM half of the vault (swinging upside down) ... whereas long rope vaulting emphasizes the TOP half of the vault (extending/shooting over the bar).

I've said it many times before, and I'll say it again ...

The focus of your [post-takeoff] training should be on the BOTTOM half of the vault ... expecially the DOWNSWING. That's what will make a HUGE difference in your PR. Also, if your BOTTOM half is technically "wrong" then it's useless to even worry about the TOP half.

Kirk
Last edited by KirkB on Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:37 pm

Kirk, you're just speculating as to what Bubka was emphasizing, based on what you see in one video.

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”